Only hide personally-made assets from a user's inventory

(Not the same feature request as https://devforum.roblox.com/t/-/504018, where the work is manual and doesn’t solve what I’m proposing)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to find out if a certain user owns multiple asset(s) created by me on the website while viewing a player’s inventory. Ever since Roblox released the feature to hide your inventories under settings (Privacy > ‘Who can see my inventory?’) it is now impossible to see anybody’s inventory if they disabled it from public for development and trading purposes.

This feature request would simply hide any assets that the player made related to their game (for both privacy and to avoid spoiling unreleased game assets) and only show assets that other developers and Roblox made.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because then I wouldn’t have to message players and wait for a response so they can disable this option. It also makes it even harder since it’s now enabled by default on new accounts and so many new players don’t even know that the setting exists. This change effects both developers and players.

Developers: ex. Restoring player data due to Roblox having data store issues

Players: Traders cannot find out if somebody has a copy of an item since it hides their entire inventory. This feature is also used to hide poisoned (stolen) items from other players to scam others, thus, making it easier for scammers to transfer these items to other alt accounts. This is also frustrating since we cannot validate every copy of a limited, thus, making it easier for traders to lie and say the item is very rare when in reality they might’ve just hoarded about the entire stock of an uncommon limited)

13 Likes

I think this is a no brainer, especially with UGC expanding. This will allow for better discovery of new UGC content from profiles, with the added benefit of having user’s self-made assets kept private. I think the best way to implement this would be to split the setting into two options: “Show purchased inventory” and “Show creations.”

Additionally, assets should be privated down to the link level. This prevents assets from being accessed by random users, had they known the asset’s ID in the first place.

I am slightly confused as to why this would be needed for development or trading? Could you expand more maybe?

Here are my contradictions, (just so your aware of what I don’t particularly agree with):

Trading:

• If you can trade then you can see anyone’s valid items in the trade tab? It is also a users choice in my opinion to hide it, as if you want people to be able to see it then you should easily toggle it off.
  • How can you validate a copy unless you check some outside website saying it was stolen? And how would you know if it was valid - is their a secondary method I’m not aware of?
  • I don’t understand how again you can tell an item is poisoned unless you are directly told by someone else. Roblox has an entire system to handle circumstances like this and as a higher power on the website they can see your trade history etc - if you magically get a cheap trade for some super valuable limited they have the right to be suspicious and act accordingly.
  • If you hoard the entire stock of a limited it does become rare, rarity is a human concept - we value these things based on appeal and by what we are told. The only difference between the Dominus Empyreus and the Shaggy is its look and number of copies. The player base put a value on it - in reality it has no value. It is also highly unlikely someone hoards the entire stock and its down to the trader to evaluate it for themselves.

Development:
I’m going to keep this one short, sharp and simple.

• If its a game-pass, you should be able to handle what happens when things go wrong even though a game-pass shouldn’t be used as a one time item.
  • If it is a developer product again, you should handle these circumstances and its your fault if you don’t.

I can understand creating a section to handle models your giving away but after that I feel like its bloat on the website.

• If anyone would kindly explain what this means I would be glad. Why would you need to have a private link when you could easily just not sell the item if you don’t want people seeing it. Unless your hiding suspicious content you should have no reason to need your links privatised?
1 Like

It’s not about hiding suspicious content. Some of us just don’t want our upcoming content leaked, or even used without our permission. For example, decal IDs can be used without permission in games, and most of the time, go unnoticed. Making items private will solve this.

1 Like

Note: I stopped trading last year so the way that I’m explaining methods of trading might not be 100% accurate.

To be able to trade you must have your inventory setting higher or at the same level as your ‘Who can trade with me’ setting.
For example, if both your trades and inventory visiblity are on ‘No one’ and you enable trades to Friends then it will automatically set your inventory visbility to Friends. Trying to change ‘Who can see my inventory’ back to ‘No one’ will revert the change.

As far as I’m aware there is no way to validate copies since the API reveals copies that are in a private inventory as deleted. If there was a difference and it stated that it was privated and not deleted then it would be possible to track the amount of copies for a hat.

Here’s a quick example.

Using an external analytical site for trading and developing, Rolimon’s, it shows that one of the rarest limiteds on Roblox, ‘Lord of the Federation’, has 4 available copies in existence.

If Roblox were to fix this issue, it would actually show that there is one more copy in existence since there are actually five of them. There is one owner with a private inventory, lando64000 (#6/10), who isn’t confirmed to still have the hat but it is very likely. This isn’t as much of a problem on a hat like this but it can become a bigger problem when people hoard many copies of an item to make it seem like it’s incredibly rare but in reality there are many private copies under a private inventory. Trust me, this has happened more times than you may expect. This isn’t as much of a problem for me anymore since I no longer practice trading but I know many who still do.

You can’t ever confirm that a copy is poisoned unless if you get scammed yourself, only Roblox can, but there can be tons of proof that can build up showing that an account was used to scam (reloading gifs, day old accounts, new outfit, et cetera.). It is a known fact in the trading community that if you grab one of these copies that were stolen and quickly traded off to you, even if you’re completely unaware that it’s poisoned (private inventory, no way of tracking where it went) then you may get banned by Roblox for scamming, even when you’re completely innocent. (then again I haven’t traded since early '19 so I’m not sure if it’s still the same way)

The problem here is that it isn’t true value when somebody soaks up many copies of an item, privates their inventory to make it appear deleted and forgotten about, then trades it off once the value raises due to its rarity increase (rarer items, higher rare demand) and then takes a quick profit after the hoard is gone and many players might have gotten basically scammed out of their value because people are using a Roblox feature to take advantage of people. This can only be avoided if you greatly know a lot about the entire limited market and have been keeping a close eye on most of the items for a while.

I’m not sure what you mean with development, maybe you can re-explain it to me? I’m not talking specifically about game passes or developer products, the example I gave was to restore or award players data while needing evidence that they own a certain item (badges). I think a better example would be for your own analytics. I think it’s pretty important to know about which assets a player owns from your game.

This feature request wasn’t specifically aimed at developers and was more for traders, though it can be important for some developers including me.

1 Like