"Only Play Audio from Window in Focus" setting behaves as if it is always true even when set to false

Today I needed to use a local test server
with two players to test third-person audio related stuff to look into a bug for a friend.

However, I am unable to do this as whenever a window is out of focus, it is automatically muted despite the “Only Play Audio from Window in Focus” setting (under the Studio section) being set to false

As you can see in the video, the “Only Play Audio from Window in Focus” setting is false however when focusing on a different tab you can see the mute icon be enabled. This isn’t just a visual bug, I have also tested audio and the issue still stays. It also has happened on all of my sessions, not just this specific place.
It started happening after either studio release 430 or 431

To reproduce the issue:

1. Set the “Only Play Audio from Window in Focus” setting to false
  2. Start a local test server with two or more players
  3. When switching tabs, you will notice tabs out of focus will be muted
12 Likes

Studio automatically mutes itself when it is unfocused even though the “Only Play Audio from Window in Focus” setting is disabled. When “Only Play Audio from Window in Focus” setting is disabled, it should continue to play audio when studio is not in focus, but it mutes itself.

1. Disable “Only Play Audio from Window in Focus” setting.
  2. Play any audio, from the toolbox or explorer.
  3. Click outside of studio.

The audio is muted until you click in studio again.

This post could be related to this problem: Add Object window muting sound when "Only Play Audio from Window in Focus" is enabled

You actually don’t need to be in a local test server. Play any audio, from the toolbox or explorer. When you click out of studio, the audio is muted.

I’m mad that this isn’t getting as much attention as it should be, unless everybody is so accustomed to having audio not playing when not in focus that they haven’t bothered themselves to report it much. I’ve been using this feature ever since I started using Studio and it still disrupts me to this day when I’m playing music on loop in Studio and it just stops when I go check Discord or do something else…

12 Likes

Absolutely, I’d hope to see some sort of fix for this in a future update, it’s been kind of bugging now when you playtest games for a bit longer (eg. shows or music-synched events) not being able to leave the studio tab.

2 Likes

Would really love for this to be fixed, its annoying having to quickly switch in and out of the tabs to check if your audio is replicating correctly.

4 Likes