OOP coroutine module help

[OOP] coroutine module help:

1. What do I want to achieve?

A: I need someway to run a loop within a coroutine, which yields for a set parameter of seconds and can be stopped by changing a ‘active’ variable. The ‘active’ variable will be changed via a class method thread:Run(), thread:Stop().

1. What is the issue?

A: I can’t figure out how to make this work, I debated using: coroutine.wrap(self.func)(...) within a while wait() do to run a function continuously at the same time using a coroutine.

“What would be the most efficient way to do this with coroutines?”

I have created some starter OOP code in a ‘thread’ class here:

local thread = {}
thread.__index = thread
thread.tasks = {}

local coroutine = coroutine

-- Code:

function thread.new(foo, i) --> thread:
    local self = setmetatable({}, thread)
    self.func = foo
    self.interval = i or 0.5;
    self.active = true

self.Thread = function(...)
        if self.func then
            -- (Somehow) with coroutine
            -- Create thread here with interval of self.interval
            -- Possibly coroutine.yeild? task.wait() or wait()?

end
    end    

function self:Run()
        self.active = true
        return self
    end

function self:Stop()
        self.active = false
        return self
    end

return self
end

return thread

thanks,

2 Likes

Man first of all that OOP thing sounds like POOP or POO backwards, Anyways im not very experienced with this whole coroutine thing but from what I can see you are trying to make your module put to sleep a thread and make it so if that variable thing changes it unyields it right? May I ask what are you using this module for?

I would use RunService.Heartbeat and keep track of the elapsed time to create an interval, which you can just :Disconnect at any time to stop it, and its also accurate as it gives you the delta time.

An example:

local t = 0 -- the elapsed time
local connection = RunService.Heartbeat:Connect(function(dt)
  -- increase the `t` variable by dt
  -- which is the seconds elapsed since
  -- the last Heartbeat
  t += dt
  if t < 5 then
    return -- stop the function if 5 seconds haven't elapsed yet
  end
  t = 0 -- reset the timer

print("hi")
end)

-- to stop it
connection:Disconnect()

If you want to do this within a loop instead, just pass a condition to your while loop

while active do
  task.wait(5)
end
1 Like

OOP stands for object oriented programming or a class based over a procedural one. Similar to a language like java, but for lua’s case we use something called ‘metatables’

example: Dog.new() → creates a new dog object

In this case, Thread.new() → needs to create a ‘thread’ object thats created by coroutine.wrap or coroutine.create.

I want my thread object to operate like this, somehow theres a loop within a coroutine wrap that automaticly kills the thread if I change my active variable.

I’m using this module to thread a ‘behavior’ function. This will control a NPCS pathfinding and logical behavior. I’m using a ‘thread’ or coroutine because these npcs will need to be executing the function at the same time. I’m trying to avoid using spawn(). thanks