Open Cloud API Keys Now Support Groups!

Seems to be still happening. Timestamp included in the response in GMT (my time zone is +10 if it helps).

No one else is having the problem it seems, so maybe I’m doing something wrong? I’ll see if I can experiment a bit further today.

curl -i  'https://apis.roblox.com/universes/v1/$universe_id/places/$place_id/versions?versionType=Published' --header 'x-api-key: $api_key' --header 'Content-Type: application/octet-stream' --data-binary @file.rbxl
HTTP/2 500
date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 00:25:10 GMT
server: Kestrel
content-length: 0
report-to: {"group":"network-errors","max_age":604800,"endpoints":[{"url":"https://ncs.roblox.com/upload"}]}
nel: {"report_to":"network-errors","max_age":604800,"success_fraction":0.001,"failure_fraction":1}

For group management, does it mean your players will go to your Discord server and interact with the bot to get accepted into your group? How do you change the ranks of your players today? Why is it important for you?

Can you elaborate more about your use case here? I guess you mean CI/CD right? What’s your workflow today?

1 Like

It’s the latter, though it’ll likely take a while. The current web APIs are not officially supported so we don’t recommend relying on them.

2 Likes

Can you talk more about the abusing scenario? Is it related to group management or other use cases?

1 Like

Hi, this update is just about permission control. If you meant throttle limit, it’ll be defined by each endpoint, e.g. place publishing API limits 10 requests per min.

Can you elaborate your use case for analytics?

1 Like

People would send multple requests to the platform “Discord” and basically “doss” discord’s servers, so they blocked it and now everybody is using proxys to get to Discord platform.

Will this be an issue with Open Cloud API because I can see that happening whenever people send multiple requests to datastore GET, POST, for data in their game? I’d would assume you would block the IP of that if they were spamming, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

We’ll have throttle limit based on the scale of the game so bad actors won’t be able to abuse the APIs. The bad actors’ account could potentially be moderated as well.

1 Like

It depends, as sometimes I want to use API keys to accept people into the group (IE, you join the game to prove you are a real person and then you get accepted), or I might want to use a bot to rank poeple like I actually do (/setrank username rank). The API is important, as for me and so many people we just use .ROBLOSECURITY, and they’re a pain…

Yep, I meant CI/CD. For a lot of developers include the big OSS rpojects, CI/CD is used to test the game/library. In a windows github actions, we’d use Roblox Studio Windows Installer to install, and then run-in-roblox. But in reality it’s not as simple as that, as because we can’t use your internal CLI (:pensive:), we then have to set .ROBLOSECURITY, .RBXID and juggle with the FFlags now due to the new auth endpoints.

1 Like

Sure thing!

Recently, me and my co-workers have discussed the possibility towards adding analytics to our official game studio website. Previously we planned on using outside resources in order to achieve this in order to have easy access towards our in game analytics. This would enable us to not only see what players enjoy about our game, but it would also let us know about any features our playerbase dislikes as well.

It is mainly for this reason that we would like to implement analytics with the Open Cloud API (if possible).

Thanks for the reply! :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I don’t think website analytics is a targeting use case for Open Cloud. However, you could integrate some of your games info on your website, e.g. showing your game’s leaderboard in real-time by using Datastore API.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate your use cases of using MessagingService API?

if a MessagingService API were to be added, this would be great for many reasons:

1. Moderation - you could remotely moderate your game in an effective manner

2. announcements - yes you can get in-game and announce, but for unsuitable devices, you could make a Discord bot and use the open cloud to make said announcement

3. timed events / live events - you can do some stuff with time on Roblox servers, or you can make something that sends an event to Roblox servers every X seconds that tells said servers to start an event, edit it, or more; would also be good for networking reasons

4. specific server events - you could get the JobId of a server and then use cross server messaging to target a specific server with the specified payload – this can be used primarily for events or possibly debugging (by telling the server to send a log of the console to a webserver, etc)

5. Imagination - Roblox is the platform for imagination, so I can’t think of everything, but I am 100% sure that other developers would use it in the ways listed above and other very creative things that I probably couldn’t have imagined.

i think these would be use cases to start with here but yea here is the use case for now
when i think of more i will come back and reply to your response again

4 Likes

I’m still confused on how to use, I would like to have a video tutorial if that’s great!

Although it would be helpful, I do not believe that such thing will be added due to the nature of Open Cloud and the fact that MessagingService is a Roblox API for fast cross-server communication. One thing that would be useful though would be the ability to have third-party applications communicate with the Roblox servers, whether that is via socket communication (which I do not believe will be possible considering the amount of server Roblox has), or via another way that will allow back and fourth communication. This will be very helpful when it comes to moderation, as well as ton of other features, and I’m certain a lot of developers out there would appreciate something like that.

Thanks for sharing these details! It’s super helpful! We’ll take that into account while defining future improvements. We’re seriously considering to support x-server messaging in Open Cloud.

well thank you very much dragon. i would primarily use this for remote moderation to make life easier but yea itd be super helpful in general to have

also is it possible to add responses so itll somewhat be like HTTP requests lol (for both normal MessagingService and MessagingService open cloud API)

yes i would love this

i could probably stop using my proxy and instead have a direct connection to my database if they supported sockets + more things we could do but im pretty sure this was asked before and was declined because of security reasons

Great update, I’d love group Open Cloud support next so that you can rank people without third-party tools.

Awesome! Do you think we can have access to promoting / demoting members in groups? Roblox currently makes it difficult to make a group auto-ranker with the captchas. Members in my group ask me to rank them all the time and I simply don’t have time to manually do something a computer would do. So making something that ranks people via a Roblox game would be very cool! Think about the potential. As you rank up in a game, you also rank up in a group! Perfect for roleplay groups

2 Likes

I agree that this would be really cool! Auto-ranks if someone does something in-game. Like for example if they win 100 times they get a rank in the group. This would open a lot of possibilities for the system but I’m not sure if that would be secure for some things if the rank is highly abused if it is a developer rank and they could edit the games in the group, But lets see what happens in the near future.

1 Like