Open Source City Explorer Game

Heroku provides one free Dyno, which has a limited number of CPU hours available. It was suitable for running a web server on Heroku, but not the data processor which spawns a new process for each tile, which would eat up the available CPU hours quickly.

This was just my perspective before moving forward. You’re open to try it

Ah that makes sense. I didn’t realise it was spawning new processes.

1 Like

Wow, this is INCREDIBLE! Just wow.

1 Like

Wow! I have never actually seen anything like this before on roblox.
:+1:

1 Like

Hey OP! I tried this out, since i wanted to use slippy maps for a game of mine. I put myself in the center of a large city, and it has these yellow-y, light orange tiles, and nothing changes. They’re not as deep red, but I’m not sure if it’s downloading and failing, or just rendering. :slight_smile:

Are you running the demo game or did you download the open source version?

1 Like

I’m using the open source version.

edit: picture

It’s been about 15 minutes, and I’m on a pretty beefy computer.

I made a small change to the repo based on my friend’s feedback changing the timeout from 10 to 30 seconds. If you’ve followed the tutorial, set everything up, and have both servers running, try pulling this update from the GitHub repo.

1 Like

I pulled the update, and I’m still having issues. :confused:
I added you on discord.

2 Likes

Really nice source was about to do this myself, one issue is saving the generated maps Without old style copying and pasting lol

1 Like

Idk if it would be possible by like the following is there a way to generate a specfic radius of a map without playmode or run mode, that way portions of a map can be saved without copy and paste or saving a a rbxm which is impossible to open. Really good resource for city making if only we can save the cities if we dont want realtime loading.

1 Like

Wow! This is great! I do have one question. How did you transfer the code from Github to Roblox studio?

2 Likes

In this case, I’d imagine the base game is sending requests to a self-hosted server which contains all of the backend python.

(sorry for bump btw)

2 Likes

May I know how you self host a server or a tutorial regarding this topic? It seems quite interesting. Also, I have heard of discord bot host. Is that the same thing?

No, a Discord Bot Host is for hosting a Discord Bot. In this case, the two are different.

You can either self host (free but not up all of the time) or look for a service.

A quick search on YouTube on the line of: host server will do the job.

1 Like

Oof. The demo game is not working :confused:

1 Like

this is cool but why isent there an option to make it so people cant join you to find out where you live?, it should be kinda standard to be allowed to make one player servers for yourself

1 Like

I can’t get the demo game to work either.

1 Like

I think the API is down or something

3 Likes

Good job on making this @paricdil i’m impressed of your work

1 Like