Open-source In-Game Avatar Editor

I made a simple in-game avatar editor!

Here is a video demonstrating what it can do:

Some things to point out:

• It is not R6 compatible.
  • This avatar editor does not support emotes.
  • There is no optimization done in any way. (ex: when selecting the Hats subcategory, it will load almost 8,000 UI elements at once; huge frame drops).
  • Searching through the UI elements is also causes frame drops.
  • My catalog database is accurate as of December 29, 2019.!

I have included the catalog database used to load all the UI elements; located in ReplicatedStorage.Catalog which you can use to make your own avatar editor or whatever. Assets are formatted in this way: {Id = 0000, Name = "hat name"} in a giant array of all the items.

ServerScriptService.BundleGetter contains code on how to get all the limbs of the bundles.
ServerScriptService.CatalogGetter contains code on how to get the Roblox catalog. (you cannot get the catalog directly use HttpService, use a proxy).

I hope there are no bugs or anything.

Place is open source here:

219 Likes

Is it okay if I modify it and implement it on an upcoming game?

4 Likes

Thanks! This’ll help on my school game.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, i appreciate it.

4 Likes

Do we have to give credits? (30 chars)

5 Likes

thx. may needing this resource later

4 Likes

No need.

If you know what you are doing, modify it all you want.

7 Likes

Will this be improved anytime in the future with the frame rate drops?

1 Like

It’s pretty easy to do it yourself by making it page based instead of just one scrollframe.

2 Likes

How do we update it so that it can have new items every time. Example: when a new UGC item comes out and how would I add that UGC item? Can we make it so that it automatically adds new items when new items come out?

3 Likes

I have provided code on how to get a list of all the catalog items. Check the CatalogGetter ModuleScript in ServerScriptService.

On line 21 you pick which subcategory you want (subcategory ids are on lines 3-15). On line 25, you pick how many pages you want to look up. Generally 25 pages is enough for all subcategories except for the Hat subcategory.

For the Hat subcategory, you cannot get all the assets at once; you will get an error like: string too long or something; you need to split it up.
Example: On line 28

for i = 1, 25 do
for i = 26, 51 do
for i = 52, 77 do

and so on; up to 200 with what is currently in the catalog, you might need to increase it as Roblox adds more assets. You will also need to do this for other categories as creators keep assets.

You cannot use HttpService:GetAsync to get the catalog. Search for http proxy on the devforum for solutions to get around this.

4 Likes

When I finish dressing up I can’t seem to move.

1 Like

Fixed.

Roblox recently updated the camera module.

3 Likes

This is so nice. It’s clean and just very modern and sleek. I really like the design! Keep up the good work.

1 Like

How would I update the catalog?

2 Likes

you know dude i always wanted an editor that was simple thxs

1 Like

maybe add like an importing system were you can import using an id

1 Like

Why is it only available in R15 because my game is based off of R6 and it sucks that I cannot use this :confused:

1 Like

thank you!

I’ve always wondered how to begin character customization during gameplay

1 Like

could this be modified to work with custom player characters? and accessories?

2 Likes