Open Source Souls-Like RPG

Robloxian Quest! [Open Source] - Roblox
I finished up my first game on Roblox and I’m satisfied with where it has gotten so I’m going to be open sourcing it.

This game has many useful assets you can use. If you can’t find them, it’s probably in ServerStorage or the AssetId is in code somewhere.

Useful assets in the game:

• sword GFX

• weapon models

• animations: combat and idle

• sounds: combat and music

• houses and buildings

• R6 and R15 NPCdesigns

• GUIs

• Custom player name tag

If you’re more interested in learning something, then I recommend checking out the “Mob” script in SSS. Below are some of the key takeaways you can get just from looking some of the source code at a glance.

Takeaways from the source code

• OOP implementation

• ProfileService implementation

• GUI automation

Takeaways from the game’s organization

• Separating scripts from individual models to promote expandability

• Using folders

• Separation based on purpose

• Meaningful naming

If you want to goof around with admin stuff, then you need to go to ServerStorage < TestMode. Make sure testmode is enabled then enable whatever you like within the descendants of testmode.

34 Likes

This is really good for a first game! I hope you continue with your journey into game development!

1 Like

Kind of you to open-source this for the community, it will be interesting to see how you put this together!

1 Like

I love this already! I’ve just started coding so i can work with my models and without even looking at the scripts this is great inspiration!

Takeaway from the first 20 minutes of gameplay: Basic, yet fun game that feels just like an old game on the platform. Tips being placed on the ground is an amazing idea. The use of basic Roblox materials and textures shows you far you can get in a game without the use of a larger team!

So far the best, and funnest open-source project I’ve played. Anyone looking to learn (including me) could learn a lot from this starting project.

I’ll go grind this for awhile.
Also, how long did it take to create this?

Note 1: Joe, a man basically done with life has really good storytelling points on democracy.
Note 2: The blacksmiths looping animation can be watched for hours on end.
Note 3: The best point spread is S4:D3:V3. There is no argument.
Note 4: what in the dragon ball z is that over there
d

Rating:
fun and comical: 9/10, comedy maximum.
gameplay: 10/10, easy to learn and fun to beat up people.
graphics quality: 1/10, bad, but adds to the quality of the comedy.

update 1: THERES QUESTS IN THIS GAME, quickly after learning that i get whooped by dragonball man.

game breaks sometimes when resting but works after you rejoin (saves data) (very neat)
quick note once more, this game has quite the bugs, makes it harder to progress but the main game is still in-tact.

Overall great first game, I’ve bought all the passes to show my support of your future projects. Thank you for open sourcing this project!

1 Like

I developed this game actively for about four months. I probably put an average of one hour a day into the game during that time period. Although, I bet I could make something like this faster.
Your ratings definitely match what I went for when I was designing the game. I wanted to make something that was a mix of what I loved while mainly focusing on the programming side of things.
You’re welcome for the project and thanks for the feedback. I’ll see if there’s an easy fix for the bugs and I’ll try making the code more user friendly for people.

1 Like

Just from looking at the SCS scripts, you have done really well with commenting on what each section of your code does! But i need to know, where are the scripts that control the enemy NPCs?

like how does it fight when there isnt any code to make it fight in the model?

The scripts for the mobs are in ServerStorage < MobAssets. The specific one for behavior is EnemyNPCHandler. The script for mob balancing is ServerScriptService < Mobs.

1 Like

Hi, this is fun! Great job! Do we have to add our own animation and minus health on hits with the sword when we Edit it and Play?

Thanks

Thank you for open sourcing this it will help many developers including me

ProfileService implementation

I don’t see the ProfileService module here

I had the wrong version linked. The correct one is there now and it has the module.

1 Like

You can balance the weapon damage in the InventoryManager file and change the animations in the InsertWeaponAssets file

Ok thanks!

RE:
You can balance the weapon damage in the InventoryManager file and change the animations in the InsertWeaponAssets file

aquiring items doesnt work. do you know a fix to that?

How can I edit the cooldown of the attacks if it exists?