Open Source: Winky's Custom Chat

IMO, you shouldn’t post your work anywhere if you aren’t prepared for critique or people pointing out what they don’t like.

3 Likes

@Winky_y Criticism helps people grow. Your going to have to deal with it no matter what.

Right now yes I do agree but if Winky can figure out how to perhaps add a tabbed chat function and enable all the standard chat commands then that would massively help.

Yeah sizing the text correctly is going to need to be at the top of the list, it is hard to read when the message is too long. Yes I know Winky added a function to stop messages being too long but the default of 100 needs reconsidering. Right now it honestly needs to be 20-40 for people to see properly. (See text size below)

That is ridiculously small. TextScaled I don’t think is right here as it makes it far too small.

What needs to be done

• Tabbed Chat Support
  • Standard Chat Commands Support
  • Third-Party Admin Commands Support
  • Text being sized properly
  • Resizeable Chat Support
  • Message when a friend joins you
  • Message when Roblox filter is experiencing issues
  • An actual Roblox TopBar button, if you need help with adding TopBar items I’d recommend going here

What I would like to see

• A YouTube Super Chat Style System
  • Allow users to perhaps right click a message and give options such as ‘Private Message Player’, ‘Send Friend Request to Player’, ‘Copy Message’, ‘Follow Player’, ‘Block Player’, ‘Mute Player’ (yes you can mute people with the /mute command if you never knew), ‘View Players Avatar’ and finally ‘Report Player’
  • Emoji Support, I don’t see this often in Roblox chats, the only good emoji support in a Roblox game is probably in @Den_S’s Theme Park Tycoon 2, in that game I can use two colons and then in between I just type the emoji name, just like the DevForum

I think this is probably the most I’m going to say about what needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Based on this post, there seems to be too many flaws. You must’ve considered posted it inside of the code review section.

This can’t clearly be used in a large scale projects in all seriousness. It might have been a good instructive project, but at its current state I don’t think that it should be used under any circumstances until fixes get added.

In sum, the problems listed greatly outweight the uses of the resources which doesn’t really seem to bring any additional features, I think that Roblox already made a good tutorial for changing a few elements of the chat interface and that’s what this thing seems to be used for even if someone could counter this from an esthetic standpoint,

1 Like

For all the interface designers who are getting annoyed at sizing or anything, quick reminder, Its open sourced. This means you have the ability to edit it!

And things like this isn’t required unless your commissioning Winky

1 Like

Admin Commands are widely used on Roblox. So I think having this is sensible. Also I might be a UI designer but I’m not one of those that do sizing or positioning, I’ve been criticised before on how I position/size GUI’s. I’m a person who makes icons, not GUI’s.

You did but you dont understand what i mean, your design is responsive and i cant do it in my custom chat basically it fits good both on mobile and pc

Edit: nevermind you actually didnt implement it

I stand by my original remarks.

I can take contructive criticism, but what I can’t take is people scrutinizing for errors and only including that. Your original post was not set out like a post trying to build up, rather put down. e.g

1 Like

Clearly you can’t. I was not scrutinizing you, I was pointing out flaws in your code.

Once you have posted what needs improving, why come back to implement what you have already discussed? If Winky does not want your tips to improve this open source chat which he is very so generously presenting to the community, why continue to argue over his own thread? If you want to make the changes go for it, its open source.

I’m just replying to his messages. Nobody is arguing, and I’m sorry you see it that way.

Exactly and you weren’t the only person spotting out the flaws.

He’s doing this to help Winky. So then it can become more popular.

1 Like

@GamersInternational -
Like @index_l said, this is not a commission, it is an open source. It is not your place to make a list of demands.

@jackTabsCode -
I am no longer going to be responding to your posts. What I meant when I said that it’s people like you stopping people from opensourcing, I meant that when you look at the post you made it really looks like you’re trying to attack me, (with remarks like “probably much more” under errors of the code) looking into all the flaws and describing my work as something to avoid. As I said before, no one is forcing you to use it- and it’s opensourced change it if you don’t like it.

Mate its open source for you to copy, go find things to comment on in #help-and-feedback:cool-creations. Any edits you would like to suggest either post it once or just simply change it yourself.

As I said I am simply providing constructive criticism, and I am sorry that you take offense to that. Nobody was attacking you in any way. This is a public forum, and if you have a problem with people replying to your post, don’t post at all.

4 Likes

In my opinion I don’t think it’s constructive, ehh, I’d say it’s more of an attack (unpurposely). If so, please resolve the problem and do not argue here anymore.

1 Like

I would suggest you re-read my post. I pointed out flaws in their code and provided resources that can assist him/her with fixing it.

3 Likes

Understandable, I definitely would :slight_smile:.

Update 3

After plenty of feedback, it has become time for the 3rd rendition of my custom chat!

Here is what was changed:

• Code enhancements:
Read more if you're nerdy like that
  • No longer spams typing remote.
  • Added reasons next to every spawn function as to why that function was spawned. (@jackTabsCode)
  • Removed unnecessary pcalls.
  • Removed most loops.

• After 40 seconds, the box will only fade to .6 transparency instead of 1.
  • Left the speaker’s name on TextScaled, but the message now uses TextSize.
    - I WILL BE WORKING ON SCALING THE MESSAGE

Coming soon:

• Pay robux to send a message to all servers
  • Other commands
  • Send message to roblox default chat as well as custom chat (this enables things like bubble chat and 3rd party admin commands)
  • Messaging (eventually)

GET THE MODEL!

Any concerns or feedback, please message me.

3 Likes

It wasn’t a list of demands, it was some suggestions to make it better. A dude already said it was worse than the default chat (please don’t see this as others trying to attack you) so it’s obvious it needs improvements and the improvements I’ve suggested would help a lot.

Some of us ain’t professional developers, the best game I’ve managed to make was an obby which had a ton of criticism. He’s never said that it was something to avoid. Unmiss might know the Roblox API but he might not know how to do modify the chat.