Open-World Game Advice

Hello Developers,

I’m planning to create an open-world game on Roblox and would appreciate your recommendations on frameworks to make it stand out. I’m aiming for a GTA-styled game where players can explore a vibrant and dynamic world.

In this game, players will have the option to choose between living a peaceful life or engaging in more action-packed activities, allowing for a diverse and immersive experience.

A little like … RoCitizens + Greenville + ER: LC

I do have a few questions and concerns about this project that I would like to discuss:

:gear: Optimization
Since this is a large project, what are some effective optimization methods for games with big maps and a lot of detail to ensure an engaging environment for players?

🤼🏼 Multiplayer Functionality
What are the best practices for implementing smooth and scalable multiplayer functionality in an open-world game?

:crossed_swords: Gameplay Mechanics
What are some essential gameplay mechanics that can enhance the role-playing experience and keep players engaged for longer periods?

:art: Customization
How can I implement robust character and environment customization options to give players a personalized experience?

1 Like

i only know of optimizations practices.

you’re gonna want streaming enabled on for this, 100%. you’re also gonna want to do what GTA does and make a lot of buildings but not many have interiors. this doesnt mean make ugly block buildings but really dont make interiors unless you need to.

1 Like

You should do your own research for the most part (highly recommend to watch YouTube videos on this like SmartyRBX’s ones) while seeing what type of competition you’d be dealing with. Look at their games and see what you would improve, since you need your game to stand out from theirs.

For optimization:

• You want to reuse your assets a lot in the game, since it’ll help with rendering significantly. Press shift + f2 to look at the draw(scene) and make sure it’s not too much (1000+ is where it starts impacting mobile users).

• Make sure to keep the render/collision fidelity good and turn off shadows when they’re not needed.

• Be mindful of how many textures, particles, and sounds you have in your game.

You will mostly need to plan out your game to be replayable and keep players in-game for long periods while also thinking of marketing strategies during that process. That doesn’t just go for gamepasses, but also how you will get people to hear of your game prior to release and after it.

1 Like