Open world survival game: Feedback?

Hello forum

I’ve been working on my own DayZ inspired open world game for a bit now and I need feedback before I go forward. I’ve always loved these games so I’m excited for this. This game leans more towards DayZ than Apocalypse Rising in general. Btw, no zombies in this game.

I’d say that at this point I have all of the framework done. The barebones inventory, weapons, map, and spawning are all working in unison.

There are a few basic weapons to play with: 2 Automatics, 1 Submachine, 2 Shotguns, 1 pistol, 1 baseball bat, and a bunch of other nick nacks

E - Inventory
T - Interact

Any and all feedback appreciated :innocent:

3 Likes

Hey there, I enjoyed the concept of the game and the models looked pretty good but few things to point out,

1. Camera movement could be more fluid feels blocky and delayed when a weapon is equipped.

2. When you wear the black vest you can see the it in first person mode, personally I think that obstructs the gameplay.

3. Recoil looks unrealistic and should probably be tuned for some guns.

4. Character animations should be tuned so they also look nice in third person, as currently it looks weird only seeing the legs and arms move and the upper and lower torso when walking. Also looks weird when you equip a weapon and go in third person as the arms look way too detached from the body.

5. When you over something you should make the gui say "[T] Pick up [Insert Name],"or something also those lines as someone playing the game for the first time wouldn’t know what to press to pick up something.

Apart from these things the game looks great.

3 Likes

It’s great and with some other players It’d be really fun, Here are my two suggestions:

• When you run It doesn’t feel or look like the character is to me. Like it looks like I’m not even increasing speed.

• Also when you look down you can’t see your torso, I think this looks a little weird even though you can see your legs and arms when you move.

Other than those two things and the things @S1mpleL0gic said, It’s great.

Good luck with this game , I think it’s going to be an amazing game :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

For the gun models I will say that you don’t need to use smooth for every gun ,every part of gun is not smooth try working on that btw your game looks cool

Good Luck :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for all of the feedback guys :star_struck:

This close button is quite frustrating. I’d much rather have it close when I click anywhere else on screen

Nice stuff so far though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just realized no one could see the only part of the map that’s actually been worked on, this small mili base:

Yeah make sure the terrain is not flat as always, the terrain color its too bright, and for an open sandbox game u will have to optimize every single asset u do in order to spam then a lot.

1 Like
  1. Main Menu
  2. Don’t remember

forumimage3

Is Wasteland a good game name? What about Wasteland Wilds?

I think Wasteland is a good name, I also like the concept of the game too. Keep up the good work, can’t wait to see your game on the front page.

1 Like

Great progress so far! Love the user interface, it’s not to in your face or complex. which is a major plus with interfaces now and days. As others have said, the models look well made too. The one thing you need to look out for is how to make your game different from the others in this genre. I understand your game doesn’t have zombies per say, but remember to add your own touch to it. Think of the time Deadzone came out and how it differed from the juggernaut that is Apocalypse Rising. Not saying you should make your game in any way like Deadzone, but don’t focus on making another generic post apocalyptic open-world survival game. Shoot above that, what can players do in this game that sets you apart from the competition. Now and days it’s about the experience that the player leaves with, that makes them want to come back.

All in all, very well done for right now. I may be getting back into building models if you’d like some help. Feel free to reach out to me on Twitter @AlexLaub_ .

2 Likes

What are you planning to do to keep players addicted? Me,- for Apocalypse Rising at least- was the building, and as well as keeping your loot when you log off so one doesn’t have to leave knowing they’d lose their stuff. Additionally, public statistics, etc. to ‘flawn’ your kills and survived days. Just wondering what you have planned for the game to not make it dry…

1 Like

Thanks for the comments guys, and I’ve been thinking about this too. The answer is, I dont know. Right now my primary goal is to make a solid, fun open world sandbox game. Extra twists will be on my list after that. That alone makes the game fun because the gameplay can be different every time, all I have to do is make a sandbox. That’s my only goal right now because there’s been a lot of instability in the open world survival genre. I’ve been a huge player of DayZ and Apoc for a long time. DayZ fizzled out and never improved once it got off the ground. Apoc, a great game but ultimately was ruined by hackers and is honestly too Roblox feeling. Most importantly the Roblox market is empty. A solid sandbox could be my greatest weapon, imo.

That being said, I don’t have any ideas for a new mechanic. I removed zombies because I thought they were meaningless and actually took away from the game. I don’t have anything to fill the void, so if anyone has ideas I’d love to hear them. But, being an enthusiast of these gamess anyway, I’m still optimistic the game could be fun. :smiley:

Btw lego, your inventory saves. I’m not doing building, but I am going to try to track kills.

2 Likes

Building is pretty fun, the ability to store loot that you get is a pretty addictive feature. Gives people a drive towards having that box of guns, etc. Consider it :wink:

PVP is always fun but there isnt a great PVE type zombie survival game you can make it simliar to dead matter/ Survive The Nights/ 7 days to die/ you have a great game and I hope the best you can attract both PVP and PVE.