Opencloud publish APIs not functioning as expected

Reproduction Steps
Currently, as of 2/17/22, the open-cloud publish API does not function as expected. At seemingly random, it will just… not upload the specified place file.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Invoke the publish API, either from a manual CURL request in a terminal or via github actions.

2. Notice that the upload was successful

3. Now join the place you published to via the API. Observe that the place file the API reported as being successfully uploaded has… not been uploaded, and you are in fact playing an older version of the experience.

Expected Behavior
It is expected that the publish API will publish the specified place file to the specified universe & place.

Actual Behavior
The publish API does not publish the specified place file, yet reports that it has.

Workaround
None

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: https://apis.roblox.com/universes/v1/
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2022-02-24 00:02:00 (-05:00)

7 Likes

This could be related : Opencloud publish APIs do not throw error if file being uploaded is bigger than the max allowed file size

1 Like

This issue occurs (flakily) for me as well, using the binary format with files that are 700 to 900 KB. Doesn’t seem related to the size limit failures.

3 Likes

Further discovery: on failed publishes it doesn’t return a {"versionNumber":X}, just ends “successfully” with no return.

Compare that to the same Action succeeding a different time:

Here are the outputs for these two.
failure.txt (6.7 KB)
success.txt (7.0 KB)

You can run a diff on them to find notable differences. (Ignore the timestamp differences of course)

1 Like

From checking my logs and comparing successful publishes with failed publishes, it seems that it successfully published whenever I get server: envoy it it fails when I get server: Kestrel. Could be causation or could be correlation, no way to tell from my end.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. We’re investigating this further.

4 Likes

This is still happening as of 5/31/22. When the issue occured, there was no {versionNumber : n} output.

1 Like