Opening chat requires [SHIFT + 7] on whatever keyboard model I have

[SHIFT + 7] =[/] = chat
Plz make chat open with enter like all other software on earth. Thx.

Im really getting annoyed at having to type a two key combo (which I cant really even properly type with one hand) a hundred times when I play a game :angry:

Not sure how this critical bug has managed to survive for monthsā€¦

4 Likes

What we need is editable keybindings for in-gameā€¦

4 Likes

We really donā€™t. If users were able to edit their keybindings, most users would have to change them every other game due to the wide variety of keys that games actually use. Sure, those users could also provide keybindings for their game, but it also adds a lot of unnecessary work which very few developers would willingly do.

[quote]
We really donā€™t. If users were able to edit their keybindings, most users would have to change them every other game due to the wide variety of keys that games actually use. [/quote]

Why in the hell would ROBLOX make that persist through multiple games?

Iā€™m already making all of the keys (aside from movement ā€“ canā€™t really do that with humanoids) customizable, and that isnā€™t too difficult, so I donā€™t see why we need a feature for it. If anything, ROBLOX just needs a setting in Studio to set the key that opens the chat. For now Radio, you can try Auto Hotkey ā€“ I use it for inserting alt code tabs on the regular ROBLOX forums, pasting in common code in scripts, etc, and itā€™d be perfect for this. Just have your ā€œ/ā€ send whatever keycode ā€œ/ā€ is on standard American models. Iā€™ve also heard that people are unable to use the apostraphe, and have to use ` (grave) instead ā€“ I think the problem might root from having those advanced gaming keyboards, because every person I know who has keybinding issues always has one.

[quote]
We really donā€™t. If users were able to edit their keybindings, most users would have to change them every other game due to the wide variety of keys that games actually use. [/quote]

Why in the hell would ROBLOX make that persist through multiple games?

Iā€™m already making all of the keys (aside from movement ā€“ canā€™t really do that with humanoids) customizable, and that isnā€™t too difficult, so I donā€™t see why we need a feature for it. If anything, ROBLOX just needs a setting in Studio to set the key that opens the chat. For now Radio, you can try Auto Hotkey ā€“ I use it for inserting alt code tabs on the regular ROBLOX forums, pasting in common code in scripts, etc, and itā€™d be perfect for this. Just have your ā€œ/ā€ send whatever keycode ā€œ/ā€ is on standard American models. Iā€™ve also heard that people are unable to use the apostraphe, and have to use ` (grave) instead ā€“ I think the problem might root from having those advanced gaming keyboards, because every person I know who has keybinding issues always has one.[/quote]

Perhaps Iā€™m being a complete moron here, perhaps Iā€™m not. But I really do not get what youā€™ve just said, at all.

What exactly would be the point of the key binding ability (for ROBLOXā€™s functions), set by the user, if they didnā€™t persist? I also never said we did needed that feature, I actually said that allowing players (of games) to set their own keybindings for the ROBLOX client, as Mael suggested, would be a bad idea as they would commonly clash with those being used by developers, ingame.

Say the user doesnā€™t want ā€œrā€ to be reload ā€“ they want it to be ā€œqā€. They would be able to change that through the configuration GUI Iā€™m making. The reason it wouldnā€™t persist through multiple games:

I configure r to be mapped to q in GameA
I got to GameB, which instead of an FPS, is a LoL type game
I press q to use an ability, and it tries to use r instead

Make sense?

I understand that, but I do not understand the link to what Mael said, or even the main post.

Mael stated that users should be able to change their keybindings ingame, as in for the chat (and any other ROBLOX related function), or so Iā€™m assuming considering the main point of this thread. I then went on to say that, in itself, is a bad idea since a lot of what people would want to bind their ROBLOX keys to, would be taken up by a gameā€™s developer, and seeing as each game usually uses a different set of keys it would be impractical to implement, as users would realistically have to keep changing their ingame keybindings, in order to suit the current gameā€™s bindings, since very few developers would jump through the hoops to allow users to customise their gameā€™s keys.

If it didnā€™t persist, what exactly is the point of it? I wouldnā€™t want to be sitting there, at the beginning of each game, setting my controls up over and over for the ROBLOX client.

Id like to have a cursom chat key change, but nothing else, because some in game chats, like the muder from clone, works like i want it, for my norwegian keyboard, i need to use ā€œ-ā€ to chat, it is / on norwegian keyboard, but when i use normal roblox chat, i have to use SHIFT and 7 to get /.

This issue has still not been fixed (what did the forum say? almost 2 years old thread??).

I still need to press shift+7 to open chat on my keyboard.

I dont understand why a major usability issue like this can persist for so long, but given that there seems to have been some progress toward platform independent input, it would be a good time to finally sort this out (just use enter for chat like everyone else).

Most likely youā€™re using a non-English keyboard layout. If youā€™re on Windows, you can add a US keyboard layout you can switch back and forth in Control Panel/Language settings.

This is less convenient than just using ā€œshift+7ā€ to chat (technically valid though, I guess).

The expected behavior is that the game works on non-US layouts as well, unless there is a good reason that it doesnt.

Is there a good reason for using ā€œ/ā€ over Enter?

I no longer remember what key chat was before ā€œ/ā€, but it used to work (though perhaps it was problematic for some other country).

(also something like shift+enter if foreign keyboard layout is detected, as an alternative, would be ok, as its easy to type)

If Iā€™m not mistaken, Shift+F7 on some international keyboard is /. Thatā€™s all the ROBLOX client knows.

Dealing with this is really annoying for me as well. I remember back in 2009, Iā€™d have to press the ā€œ-ā€ key to open chat:

blob.png
(also notice how the 7 key is used for ā€œ/ā€)

I stopped playing Roblox some time in 2010 and started again in 2014, and I had no idea how to chat for a while. It has also been an inconvenience when Iā€™ve introduced my friends to Roblox, and theyā€™d bash the platform for having a weird chat key.

Iā€™m not sure if the key should be Enter, but almost anythingā€™s better than the current key combo in my opinion.

Wait, is this Norwegian?

The thing I love about other games is that the ā€˜/ā€™ key is the command bind so I can press ā€˜/ā€™+backspace and use chat normallyā€¦

I blame roblox for my weird chat bind tendenciesā€¦

:cry:

1 Like

Danish.
A ton of European keyboards have Shift + 7 correspond to /.

While I do share the struggle of OP, I donā€™t find enter the most convenient key for me. Perhaps because of all the ROBLOX Iā€™ve played during the past years.

Itā€™s bad that we canā€™t use GuiServiceā€™s events for detecting the special chat hotkey.

1 Like

Btw now when we press / with an AZERTY keyboard it opens the emote menu.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why Roblox hasnā€™t fixed the issue of having to press Shift + Colon on AZERTY kbs yet
Itā€™s been happening for ages, and it needs to get fixed asap!

alternative to opening chat: / key on the numpad lmao

3 Likes

didnā€™t know about the alternative key thanks bro

1 Like