[Opening Soon] Creating a custom, scalable, datastore service using an external server

Overview

With all the issues Roblox’s datastore service has been experiencing recently, I have seen that a lot more people are considering the move to an external solution. Using an external method, you don’t have to worry about any throttles (aside from the HTTP 500 requests/minute, but I don’t think anyone will be going over that with this), not only that but you get much more control over your data. As well as this, your game can still function, even when Roblox’s datastore service is down, which gives you a massive advantage over competitors in the same genre, as their player base comes to your game.

My solution is powered by Google Cloud Platform (GCP). GCP features a whole heap of solutions, from an App Engine (what I use to run my external web-based programs), to database services, to artificial intelligence, to data analytics.

This service will use Google’s App Engine and Cloud Datastore and the reason Google Cloud Platform is so great for this is because of its auto-scaling functionality, meaning, if your game explodes overnight, Google will create more instances of the app in a matter of seconds. As well as this, all of the solutions they provide cleverly integrate with each other, making the development workflow a lot more seamless. If your games traffic spikes suddenly, more instances will be created, and if the number of players drops, instances of the app will be automatically discarded and the same if, for whatever reason, an instance errors, it will be restarted automatically.

I have created an open-source API that you can use in your game to easily interact with the external server (once I start accepting orders, I will post the Github repo here).

If you decide to purchase my service, then please keep in mind that I will set it up on your GCP account (you will need to give me access to your GCP project).

How long does it take to setup?

I have already made everything; it is just a matter of setting it up for you, which will take less than an hour.

Costs

I am charging a one-time setup fee of £25 (British Pounds). You are responsible for handling the GCP billing; however, they offer a one-year trial with $300 credit, which should be more than enough to get you going.

Contact

If you have any questions, then you can reply to this thread or DM me on Discord (grilme99#9830).

4 Likes

Are you available to create something similar but on AWS?

2 Likes

I don’t have much experience with AWS, is there a specific reason why you would want it on AWS?