Opening the place file crashes Studio, making work impossible

Reproduction Steps

System Info: Macbook Pro Mid-2012, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, 16 GB memory

Repro Files: Please see Private Message.

Previously with this same file and its previous iterations I was having issues with Studio crashing whenever I opened or edited a Script. I eventually found a workaround, however now I can’t open the file most of the time.

Reproduction Steps:

• Open the file in Studio.
  • After a second of showing the place’s screen, Studio should automatically crash.
  • Note this doesn’t happen all the time, however it happens enough that it severely impedes development.

Expected Behavior

I can open the file normally and edit the file normally.

Actual Behavior

Opening the file, most of the time, causes Studio to completely crash.

Other files don’t do this and open normally.

Workaround

Sometimes, the file will open as normal, though this is uncommon.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2022-10-26 00:10:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-10-28 09:10:00 (-05:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

8 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll investigate.

3 Likes

Let me know if you need any more information, this issue is happening to me too and I can’t open my game at all…

It’s honestly kinda sad, I have no clue what’s going on and it’s been like this for months

1 Like

@SuperDave6502 You told me to contact you if I ever came across a similar issue again, and this user is encountering a similar problem, so here you go.

2 Likes

Could it be not enough memory?

1 Like

Doubt it, I have 40gb of ram on my 27" iMac from 2020. The computer itself is very capable, not sure what’s up with Roblox especially because I can open other places of the same size.

1 Like

Try reinstalling studio, I had the same issue but with teamcreate place, once i reinstalled studio, it worked just fine (uninstall and then install again after)

1 Like

I tried that a few days ago, didn’t do anything.

3 Likes

Try opening the game with the graphics mode No Graphics in render settings. Can you say if it crashes with no graphics?
Meant to reply to @KinderDev.

1 Like

After setting it to No-Graphics mode I can’t open any places haha (uh oh)

I had one of my other developers for Farming World open the place and send me the place file, said place file works perfectly and I don’t have any performance problems. Publishing over the Farming World place with the copy didn’t fix anything, so it seems like a corruption problem or something on my end.

1 Like

Still experiencing this issue, cannot enter a very important place and work on it

Hi @KinderDev, could you file a bug report on the devforum and send me a link to it? It’s possible the issue you are seeing has a different cause, but filing a bug report with a way to reproduce the issue will give us a chance to investigate it.

I wish I could though I don’t have Regular on the DevForum which means I don’t have the ability to make posts under studio bugs

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 1.37.34 PM

Could you see if you are able to file a bug using these instructions?
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/cant-post-bug-reports-or-feature-requests/2009361
(Please let me know if that doesn’t work though.)

1 Like

Thank you Dave, here’s a post https://devforum.roblox.com/t/unable-to-open-specific-studio-place-macos/2097577

(This may be the second message I’ve sent you, sorry if it is I forgot if I sent one earlier.

That’s no problem. I’ll try to look at the bug report soon. I am still waiting on the post to become visible to me (we have an internal process that happens before I can actually see the post).

1 Like

After five months, it’s still happening to me. Have you fixed this, or what?

2 Likes

Hey there, we are unable to reproduce this issue in the latest version of Roblox Studio. If you are still experiencing this issue, please resubmit an example so that we can reproduce it.

Huge bump, but I’m experiencing this now on my game

This started happening after the most recent update, 9 / 4 / 2024

6 Likes

I’m currently having the same exact issue.