Opinion on this "cartoony" themed ui submission

sooo i made this ui in around 1-2 days for a submission, 1-2 days is because i couldnt think of a design, on a ui designer position. it did get denied (side note: everyone else that was applying said that my ui was like awesome yeah) but i still want to know peoples opinions on this. any feedback/opinion appreciated!

and, only roblox frames were used to make the ‘art’.

thanks

3 Likes

I am by all means not a professional UI designer, but I do see some peculiarities in it.

1. The bananas feel out of place, being fairly detailed when surrounded by very simplistic shapes that only vary in color by a couple different shades.
  2. It feels as though there is a lack of rhyme or reason, while this could be because of the “cartoonish” style, it just doesn’t sit with me incredibly well.

It just feels very out of order and cluttered. Here are some examples of what I mean:

• The shop button is a different distance from the left wall than the leveling up UI
  • the play button is sized strangely when compared to the shop button, and also a different distance from the left wall.
  • The “Skin Editor” button is not centered over the “Profile” button
  • I’m not sure if the text on “Profile” is meant to be replaced by a player but there is no reason why that text would need such a big box, it leaves a lot of empty space
  • Every font is a different size
  • The play button text is lowercase when all the text around it is uppercase

Do you see what I mean? Like the icons on the left side of the menu are spaced differently from the wall than those of the right side. It may just be the inner perfectionist in me, but everything being different so slightly, all shoved in the tiny spot makes it feel a bit cluttered and without reason.

This is just my opinion however. Anyone feel free to correct me.

(Oh yeah and it seems a bit strange to use a gradient for the UI backdrop when gradients aren’t used anywhere else in the UI)

2 Likes

understood. i used the bananas just to fill out emptiness in some spaces of the ui, felt too empty

and, about the ui being uncentered, it was kinda intentional? but yeah, i did rush everything because i was kinda stressing it out.
thanks for pointing out all these little details so i can improve on myself!

most the decisions that i made were a style choice. like the “play” being lowercase. same for the ui gradient

again, thanks. all appreciated

1 Like