Opinions on hand-painted texture?

Hi there!

I just purchased a drawing tablet I’ve been meaning to get and instantly got to using it. I believe that hand-drawn textures are what I want to define my 3d modeling style. So, seeing as there are countless developers in here with way more experience than me, what do you think of my first asset? What can I do to improve? Does this look like something that you would see in a game?

crystalgifoptimized

Thank you for reading, hope you all have a great day.

16 Likes

There’s got much to improve on, this is amazing! I think you should fix up the shadow a though. Looks a tad weird, no offense.

2 Likes

I really do like it but the only thing I’d change is maybe the lines of the crystals don’t get me wrong crystals do have those lines but not as strong. Also maybe add some glow if you’re adding it to a game. Well good work, from John.

3 Likes

None taken!
By shadows, did you mean the ones seen in the turntable animation? if you mean the ones on the texture itself, do you think i should have made it darker near the base of the crystals?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely experiment with softer lines next time I make these, as well as looking into how I can make my creation appear to glow using drawing methods.

1 Like

Yeah darker near the base, and darker to the sides

1 Like

There room for improvements tho like fixing the shadows and lightings at a better angle and distance from the main source of light.

1 Like

Outstanding work! Maybe 2 things to improve on; First the colour, make it more brighter so it would stand out much better. Second the faint white outlines maybe blend it in with a dark shade of green, other than that your work is really talented for a beginner, So keep the great work up!

2 Likes

I think it looks great. Needs a few touch ups, though.

1 Like

Wow, this is really great! Some have already said there is honestly not much to improve on here besides smoothing up the shadows…I love the style, it reminds me of Borderlands!

1 Like

It looks great! I would recommend touching up on smoothing and shading and more shadows towards the base.

:+1:

1 Like

Great work! My only recommendation would be introducing some shine to the crystal because as we all know, crystals are shiny. Otherwise, some shadows towards the base of the crystal would make it look even better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I will take into consideration all your feedback as I move forward, while we’re here, here’s a plank of wood I made for practice :slight_smile:

3 Likes