Opinions on this idea to prevent spam/no cooldown exploits?

Exploiters are a pain to deal with. They come up with multiple types of exploits. Speed, flying, spamming, etc… But I think I got an idea to prevent or atleast make it harder to spam remote events.

The idea is to make a bunch of fake remote events with fake names like (Fireball_Remote, Fire_Ball) and have the real one be randomly generated and accessed on a module script.

When the fake remotes event are fired, the exploiter who fired them would be punished as I don’t think it would be possible to accidentally fire a remote event without exploiting.

Let me know if I made any mistakes and if so, would there be a way to do something similar

5 Likes

Thats quite an idea, I think you should try that idea out for yourself. I mean, its quite hard to do. But i think this can do great things while roblox is working on an effective anticheat

1 Like

Interesting idea, though this will work until It quite literarily doesn’t… It’s still a good way to troll/trick newer and less experienced exploiters trying to breach your game. Though I would have to advise you to not rely on this to be a final solution. Best way to stop exploits that spam remotes is to simply create a server-side cooldown on said remotes.

1 Like

Not bad idea but lets not forget that exploiters simply can just see what remoteevent gets fired and then spam that one so its not obviously a good permanent way. Maybe if the exploiter is a 8 yr old then this would work but else no chance at all!

2 Likes

Honeypots are a thing as old as exploits, but like others said, exploiters will likely check what events are fired when fireball is used and reuse that one.

1 Like

These are called honeypots and are will only sometimes work on unexperienced exploiters.

It’d be better just to include sanity checks on the server, like checking how long since the client last send to fire a fireball. You could even check how consistently they are firing fireballs (taking ping into account) to check if they may be using an autoclicker, and if they are firing too consistently, temporarily increase the cooldown as a punishment.

1 Like

I see we’re you’re coming from but I know as a matter of fact, hackers are smart they will find a way around that, but creative idea. Also recently I’ve had a concept for an ani cheat, a system that detects if you have another program open I know it’s possible since I seen it in stereo typical obby; it probably uses something different to this but if the ani cheat is complex the hackers exploits need to be more complex which will lead to a change in fps dramatically. If we monitor the players average fps and compare it all the time with the current fps we might be able to tell if they’re using an exploit. This might not be fool proof as they could just be running a big program or their computer had a lag spike (though the lag spike shouldn’t be so big and it gradually decreases so if the lag doesn’t go down within a few minutes we will assume they have another program open that uses a lot of possessing power) so their accounts should be checked not banned.

1 Like

or… write code that makes spamming or modifying remotes useless.

Since I don’t want to create a separate thread for this possibly stupid question related to RemoteEvents and prevention of event spam…

Is creating a separate RemoteEvent dynamically for every player who joins the game possible and would it make sense to funnel all of the data sent back to server through it?

In my mind it sounds like it might simplify spam detection, but I don’t know enough to figure out potential downsides.