Optimal ways to handle 100 player servers on a large free-roam game

What I’m trying to achieve is to maintain steady and decent performance when having a large amount of players such as 100 players. As of now, I haven’t done tests with 100 player servers but from what I see and what I know, it tends to lack in performance.
I want to avoid using Streaming Enabled

This is aimed at large free-roam games such as Ultimate Driving:Westover

Any suggestions?

To be honest, Streaming Enabled would be perhaps the best way to improve performance without having to go through the map (assuming you’ve already finished it) and optimize it by hand (i.e reduce part count/density). I’m not entirely sure of another way to do this that would work with such a large scale map like the one you intend on having, but Streaming Enabled would be perfect. Why avoid using it?

1 Like

From what I’ve learned, anything to cut down on networking.

If you can get rid of the characters, you’d save a lot on networking.

Would of thought something custom would be better than streaming enabled

Okay, so I could do a local character remove if the distance is far enough from another player

Possibly. You’d be in the realm of experimentation. If you try it out, let me know what you find.

Will try it out, thank you

That doesn’t cut down on networking, and would only affect rendering. You should just be careful how much you are sending/receiving. MeepCity uses normal roblox character replication(which is likely better than any custom system right now) and it runs fine. It may be a less intensive game than yours might be though.

2 Likes

Removing characters locally if they’re far away shouldn’t optimise anything. If Roblox isn’t currently handling this optimisation for you, it’s something I would post in #platform-feedback:engine-features. As a new member, you don’t have post permissions there, so refer to forum rule 15.1.

Don’t worry about whether or not the request is written well or not, if you make it. You will receive very helpful assistance.

2 Likes

Yeah most likely a less intensive game

Thank you

Note that if you post asking for optimisation on far away players, you shouldn’t try suggesting how it should be done. State your issue, state what you need optimised, and use the feature request format. This seems like something that should already be optimised by now, but if it isn’t then, again, you don’t need to suggest how to optimise it. Engineers will find their own way, as they’re far more familiar with the Roblox engine than (most likely) any of us.

1 Like

Yeah, my initial intention was ways how to optimise performance for a large game such as 100 players

Also, streaming enabled would be a problem for cars travelling? That’s what I’ve heard

I made a custom system for my game where there are no humanoids at all and the characters are made of just the humanoid root part on the server. All character rendering, movement and animations are done client side, it helps A LOT, I’ve tried it with about 75 people in an intensive game and it worked very well. The system uses Luanoid from the 2018 hack week to handle all player humanoids locally and custom code to make the player models show up and follow the server humanoid root part.

6 Likes

Sounds good, do you have a game with this example and the link to the Luanoid?

I don’t have a link to a working game with the system right now, but this is the link to Luanoid https://github.com/LPGhatguy/luanoid :smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll let you know how I get on, take care.