Options For External Databases With Roblox

I started looking into Roblox datastores, and I wondered if there is a way to use a database such as MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc. in place of Roblox’s datastore. I saw some info on that on the devforum and online, but not much.

What options are there for using databases, and how does this work with Roblox? And, do you have to pay to host the data yourself, or would it be stored in the Roblox servers, without having to pay for anything?

I’ve been learning MS SQL Server along with Roblox lua, so I though it would be interesting to combine both skills. Thanks for any info!

8 Likes

Hosting your own database is your own expense. You would use HttpService to send the data to your server and fetch existing data.

Existing Posts:

3 Likes

Please, use, the, search, bar! Don’t say you couldn’t find anything because I literally just answered this question!

Anyways yes there is a way to use an external database with HTTPService. You do have to pay for your own hosting if you get an external one that isn’t free. Roblox servers are free to use without paying for anything but can only be accessed via the game.

6 Likes

To add on to what Spencer said above. Believe me I’ve looked and if you do come across a free database hosting service, odds are it will be a development-testing database, it is not recommended or should be used in any project release. Servers do very in price based on the actual worth of the database and the provider but if you are just wanting it to make life easier without being able to afford the expenses(which can be quite high for someone who hasn’t really earned a huge amount of success) then odds are your best bet is to stick with ROBLOX Datastores and if by some stroke of success you can afford a database in the future(or now, who knows?) well then it’s at your own expense. :slight_smile:

I too was incredibly interested in this a while back. You could benefit from it in theory if you can pay the incredible sum. but good luck anyhow! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do think people greatly underestimate how just utterly amazing Roblox Datastores are. They are providing a free database with virtually infinite storage and a set amount of limits per player. They are well maintained and are kept up almost always. They allow you to store almost anything really.

Yes there are a few bumps in the road here and there, but for what it’s worth, it’s quite the deal.

So when people hold up external databases like they’re a trophy of purity and are moving away from the chains and shackles of Roblox, it’s really kinda just an illusion of normality.

4 Likes

There are proxys that are free actually, which is pretty sweet :wink:

3 Likes

when people want a offsite database most of the time they are or hosting a bot for a certain chatting platform which’s name i will not be saying OR they want to make some kind of game which will get banned

There is no way to do this if you’re going to have a very popular game.

Here is the reason why. HttpService has a limit for requests. This means if you need to, let’s say, get player data, and you have 1,000 players concurrently, how can you do a lot of HttpService requests with only a limit of 500 requests per minute? You also may have to account for times when you have to use HttpService in other situations.

Now, if you’re going to have a game with no players, that’s a different story.

Basically, you have to make a situation where you will barely use an external database.

If someone was actually able to pass through this, I would like to know how.

you can delay requests into big chunk i think