Organized Trading of Models

A lot of groups and professional builders on roblox build for others. At the moment, it’s extremely shady and insecure. Someone could A - not give the model or B - not pay the price. Roblox needs a better way to trade models, even if it’s just an add-on to the current trading system. When somebody pays 20K robux for someone to build a huge fps map, they aren’t going to be very happy when the builder turns around and uses it for their own game instead. The good thing about this is that it’s between two people - rather than priced models that is between the creator and the hundreds of people who have enough robux. If one person leaks the model, it would just hurt them. This is why model trading is a bit more secure. It would also keep the roblox catalog free from spam T-shirts that were used to buy something else. Any takers?

14 Likes

It would be nice if there was a way to “sell” models for a certain amount of R$, similar to the way shirts and pants are sold.

selling models on the website would be extremely vulnerable to leaks and things of the sort - model trading is a lot more secure because it’s between only 2 people.

This is the exact same scenario as with model selling.

Someone will trade for it once and then leak it if they want. There’s 0 difference from selling models.

SO this means that if you are defending your stance then you are also defending model selling, which must contradict what you replied to here:

1 Like

I would like to see this as well. A marketplace like Unity has is much needed. Not because it protects our assets, because it likely will not, but because it would give us a place to get quality models, etc. without fear of dangerous or broken scripts and other problems frequently found in the currently library of stuff. Perhaps Roblox could make it where purchased models get the game ID from the game when it loads and calls back to the MarketplaceService (or the like) to validate the game has permission to use that asset. If it does not, the asset is unloaded. Removing said protection would render the asset useless, if possible. Again, even if the security can not be implemented, this would still be a great feature as there are plenty of devs on the up and up that would rather pay for assets than steal them. I would rather be able to contribute to (and profit from) those devs rather than none at all. My experience has been that most people who have to steal things don’t actually have what it takes to make something great out of the things they stole anyway, so most of the time they either get caught or they fail.

1 Like

@Acreol it is not the same, because the model still has a confidentiality factor if it is only between two people. The recipient would have needed to give up something of theirs to get the model In the first place, which puts them at risk for a leak too. Also, the recipient pays the builder to build the model for them. If they want to leak it, it’s technically theirs, so it’s no expense to the builder… If this were an open “Sell” button, there would be no confidentiality factor, and everyone who gets the model knows that it can be sold to anyone else as well. Trading is like selling the model to only one person. This keeps things simple, and not as many people will be effected if it’s leaked.

Selling models: You’re giving up ROBUX

So then you’re saying once you trade the model it’s gone/it’s only for one person?

Two main flaws:

• A trading system is formal. Formal means useable for anyone = it will be used to re-trade existing models, therefore someone may still leak it. Or worse; trade it for less.
  • You’re now saying “pays” instead of trades for - selling models? Furthermore, is there going to be some sort of preview so you know what you’re getting?

I mean I guess you’re going for more of a person to person basis and not for masses. This is great too, but apparently nobody wants ROBLOX contracts .-. (I really wanted them…):

But what I’m trying to point out with this is that everyone on that thread said if you can’t trust the other party, you shouldn’t do a deal with them - or you should hire an actual real life legal lawyer or something to work out a deal. I personally disagree with this, hence I support it and selling/trading models, but most people didn’t support it so yea…

This is very different from that idea and in the thread the reasons why that would be a total failure have been discussed.

On the other hand, ROBLOX doesn’t officially support trading models in any way offsite. If you do it, you can expect to get moderation action.

The proper thing to do is to do it all via PMs / onsite.

Can you tell me why people wouldn’t leak / re-trade someone else’s models for less?

I don’t know why you keep going back to this…

It’s irrelevant to the topic.

OP is talking about commissions, from a buyer to a seller. Whatever the buyer does with the model is on them. Once the seller gets paid, it isn’t a loss if the model is “leaked” by the buyer.

So reselling isn’t allowed?

I’m going back to it because I think they’re similar.

It’d vary between seller. Each person will have their own set of rules/ToS with selling an item, whether it’s graphics, drawings, or models.

Although, most sellers on ROBLOX don’t have a set of rules that I’ve seen, I’m sure it’s generally frowned upon to resell something you bought from someone else.

Yea but my point is then so is leaking, OP said that selling models wouldn’t work because of this, so I’m asking why would this somehow prevent it?

Selling models, in the way you’re thinking, is just selling them publicly to anyone.

OP is using in a one party way, where only one person pays for the model, and one person only.

Sort’ve like when buying art currently, you pay a person to make you something, and then you receive said product.

He used the trading system as a way to compare to what his idea is. Where you “trade” robux for a model.

Leaking wouldn’t be a concern to the seller as they’ve already been paid for the product, and in most cases, don’t care all too much about what the buyer does with it.

I guess but the same case could be made with selling models - and in fact since it’s more open, it’s more likely it will be sold more than once, meaning more sales.

Your argument revolves around the mindset of the person, but because of that, the person selling models can maintain the same mindset - of low expectations - and be happy to have gotten a floor of 1 - but not capped to 1 - sales before having her model leaked.

there’s no way to prevent leaking of information, so you’d already have to trust the builder to begin with

but its a cool idea to sell models, since most models take much longer than clothing etc to make

and I’d see this spawning entire new studios, not ones that make games --but rather assets to games.

I would just like to be able to securely add a model to another player’s inventory for use in inserting in places. This is big in the automotive community where these are called “slots.” You go to a racetrack, have your slot inserted, and you can drive it around or whatever.

Normally you make an unassuming model like a gray brick, have the recipient take the model, then take the model off-sale and update it to what you really want. Anyone who cottons on to this kind of thing can swoop in and take the model in the short period it’s up, and then the ability to securely transfer content through that model is ruined.

Couldn’t you send the RBXM file over to the owner instead?

Every modification to a model would require every recipient to republish it which is a huge hassle. Multiple people host racetracks and cities and some host multiple thereof, so the ability to quickly, but easily, disseminate the model to the place owners is important to the car community. Some people trust one portion of owners and others trust a different portion, so having a single hub to share these models is not enough.

You can argue that this is a good way to spread malicious code, but it’s just as easy with or without the ability to securely send a model to a recipient’s inventory, as long as the recipient has to accept the model.

2 Likes

As a Roblox Builder, it is very hard to buy or sell models without the large risk of being scammed. People can easily block someone on all their accounts after they get paid and never hand the model over. Unfortunately users are finding ingenious ways to scam others, and I’m sure most people on here have been scammed. There is also the issue of Roblox taxation. If you pay 1k Robux for a model, but don’t have that money in a group, then you will have to pay much more.

My Preposition

I believe it would be great if page similar to the Trade page could be added.

Once the model has been built, the builder can submit a request via the page. He selects the model that he is selling, and then selects what he wants in return (either a limited or Robux). He then sends this request off to the customer.

Once the customer receives the request, he can either negotiate and send over another offer, or accept it. You might be wondering, how does he know it’s what he is after? On the page there will be a “View Model” button. This button will send you to a baseplate with the model on. You are free to interact with the model (if it has scripts) and use the spectate feature to have a good look.

I made a concept here, although please note that I am not a UI designer, and have no idea what fonts Roblox use.

As you can see, it will show a photo of the model and also a button where you can view it in a baseplate. You can counter the offer or accept it if you are happy. I also forgot about the Decline button, which could be added.

Of course, there are positives and negatives to this. On a positive note, this could prevent some scamming and overall help developers sell their products.
On the other hand, scammers will still be able to find a workaround.

Note: Put into this topic as a reply.

4 Likes