Overuse of Remote Event Instances

Is limiting the number of remote events useful? I’ve seen multiple developers talk about reducing the number of remote events in their game, sometimes unifying them all under one main event.

Why do they do this? To my knowledge the only performance impact that this may have is reducing the instance count that the game will need to load in. Maybe it’s one more thing for the game loop to check but I cant see it impacting much at all. Additionally all connections to that event will also be called.

It seems to come with the massive downside of making code harder to organize, especially if the events have nothing to do with each other.

1 Like

In this post, no one really mentions why it’s important to minimize remote event instances.

1 Like

Your correct reducing the amount of remoteevent instances is not very important all it will do is reduce the amount of instances sent when the player first enters the game and also reduce the amount of connections you have but the impact is so small you could just ignore it

How many remote events do you have?

If you have more then let’s say 1000 then maybe it could be a concern

Merging remote events is also not a problem I can see how you could have a custom event system where scripts can bind functions onto the event system and you would have a table linking to the functions that need to get called when the remote event fires but Id say just do what you feel more comfortable doing

4 Likes

I’ve just started a new project, and I’ve had the opportunity to merge two relatively similar remotes, and wanted to see if it was worth creating some sort of remote hub to simplify everything under 1.

1 Like