Package update: Allow Configuration folder to contain ValueBase objects that can be changed without forcing a Package-update

The problem
As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make a timer button as a Package.
Simply, I want to push a button and it should blink for x amount of time. The amount of time the button should stay blinking is saved in an IntValue in the model.

Blue timer button for obstacle course.

Unfortunatly when you change an IntValue in a package, the whole package requires you to update or you can’t publish. This makes sense, but also there should be an option to have adjustable parameters inside a package that doesn’t require an update.

Introducting: Configuration folder!
It allows any children of such folder to be changed without forcing an update to the package.
This way I could have an IntValue called Time inside my configuration folder, and altho I have multiple Timer buttons, they all can have different blinking times.

TL;DR: Basically allow a Configuration folder to exist so we can have Packages with adjustable parameters.

4 Likes

What about if I want to provide a configuration for my package, and later wish to update my package with additional values?

Good question! It’s two different scenarios:

1. Adding new value objects to config. should add them to old packages aswell (without changing the values of existing ones).

2. If you want set all values in your configuration folder to a fixed set of values, you should delete the configuration folder, update package, add configuration folder and then update again. Then all values will have been changed.

1 Like