Packages Phase 2: Advanced Updates [LIVE!]

Awesome and needed update to most people and I think the same, but I didn’t hear and use before Package option… I think I have to test them! :wave::slightly_smiling_face:

My output gets spammed with 4 seemingly unrelated prints every time a package gets updated using the mass update dialog. This is using team create, not sure if it happens without it.

2 Likes

@filiptibell, we just turned on a FastFlag this morning related to those messages, hopefully the messages will go away. Please test, thanks:-)

Seems to be all good now! :slightly_smiling_face:
Still getting the “Saving to roblox…” message, but I’m guessing that’s intentional.

Yeah I still have the same issue. Also for some reason today, whenever I get latest package and publish the place, it package version reverts back.

That sounds similar to what happened with one of my packages today, could you read this bug report I posted and see if you are having the same issue as I am?

2 Likes

I was waiting for this a long time ago, so is there going to be any performance optimization for the copies of the same package, because it’s the same object, rather then 2 separate objects, like scripts could have optimized to execute on all the copies, instead of a script for every object, so we’re not making the context of the script again and again, and we’re not making unnecessary threads.
That would be great !

You guys really need to start using better naming conventions
I also don’t understand how this is any different than using the models feature

This means that when you update a package, all other instances of that package get automatically updated.

Don’t models do that? I used a system like this ages ago by updating models and re-inserting them into live games

No - models do not do this.

Models are static in the sense they don’t auto update, wheras packages are, optionally, kept up to date with the file on the website.

You don’t have to open up each place in your game to update a Package, as you can use Mass Update to automatically update all packages within your place’s universe.

This is a beta feature to Packages, and is currently an opt-in feature however.

I must ask - what exactly is the whole point in packages if you still have to open up each place and publish it manually?

I expect that my game will still function after mass updating a package, one that my game’s core framework relies on. However, after adding a new module script, updating the package, and requiring the new module in my framework, all places that weren’t the place I initially updated broke. Meaning I still have to do the same tedious task of opening up all 30 places just to update one package.

Packages should function identically to linked sources, where when you publish an update to it, all places in the game get the update without having to go into each place to publish the updare.

Perhaps this glaring issue will be fixed in the next update of packages and I hope it does - otherwise packages will be a useless feature.

6 Likes

Hello!

I am not sure if it was reported already, but seems that editting the package’s scripts is VERY VERY laggy. Whenever I remove the “package”, it works good again.

I have to agree with this. Using one module in 10 separate places right now and I often forget to update it and end up troubleshooting something that is too obvious for half an hour.

1 Like

Can you give us more details on how your place broke and repro steps to make this behavior happen?

Mass Updates is intended to allow you to update all places within your game to the latest version of your Package without having to open it up again.

Sure thing.

1. Create two places
  2. Create a new package (model with a part could work) and set it to automatically update.
  3. Add the package into place #2
  4. Add a new script into ServerScriptService, and to knock out a potentional cause, make it a linked source.
  5. In place #1, add a module script into the package and publish it
  6. In the script created in ServerScriptService, require the ModuleScript in the package
  7. Mass Update the package, and publish the game.
  8. The script in place #2 should be broken now.

I think the issue could be related to the package being set to automatically update, and could be a bug if so.

Everyone, everyone.

Somebody once told me that Packages were amazing
They are the sharpest tool in the shed
But you couldn’t access it because it was in beta… betaaaaa
In the shape of an E on your forehead its now available for you.

Well, keep the Packages coming, and they won’t stop coming…

I tried…

Shameless plug for the DevHub Article on Packages.

16 Likes

Not sure if its been asked above (a lot of replies :stuck_out_tongue: )

If I have a package set to auto update, will the updates be pushed to live servers as well?

No, you will need to publish the place still.

1 Like

Awesome! :smiley: Updating all weapon models shared across RPG places will be so much easier now!!

2 Likes