Packages Phase 2: Advanced Updates [LIVE!]

This is so good, this is wonderful, just woohoo!

7 Likes

I completely agree that packages are a very powerful update to the Studio workflow and these updates incentivise the use of packages more than ever.

The Beta features tab sounds like a wonderful way to roll out opt-based updates. A question regarding this, however: if the option is intended to eventually be available to everyone, does that mean that signing up for the Beta program will be removed in favour of pushing beta features from this panel?

Phase 2 is looking really good, as are the plans. I personally cannot wait for package sharing and collaboration. Maybe that’ll even leave room for a couple of productivity feature requests (cough, Third-Party Private Module replacement).

:tada:

12 Likes

For Studio we will be favoring using the Beta Features Panel over the signup program. We will make an announcement when we do this.

18 Likes

The ability to do this across multiplace games is key. If you wanted to make your map winter themed, you could update 100s or 1000s of trees or other objects at once. This makes making small changes super easy. The idea of opt-in beta features is great also.

7 Likes

Sounds awesome!

Also now I have Linkin Park stuck in my head for the first time in 10 years

10 Likes

It seems like auto-update still requires you to manually go into studio for every place and publish it to get the newest packages on a live server. I was expecting it to update the packages without needing to manually publish once again. Will this be possible in the future, or will the Mass Update feature be the way to do that?

7 Likes

Very excited that this update came out today!

Sounds really awesome! Can’t wait to start using it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was just looking at the roadmap yesterday and longing for this very feature. Are packages stable enough to use for all my libraries? I’d love to properly utilise them with this new auto-update feature to keep my libraries up to date across all my places where I use them, but have held back from using them for a while.

4 Likes

Initially, the plan was to add this functionality into Mass Updates. Unfortunately, this could be a very dangerous action, especially for live games. We decided to break out this functionality, and have added this to our roadmap as part of our cloud development initiative.

Thank you for bringing this up. We definitely understand the use cases here. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Most Top Devs would recommend to have two separate places for your game anyways, one main and one for editing, at least 2 of them, so updating changes to all live servers wouldn’t really be a problem when executed properly

Are we going to get some kind of similar functionality from something Roblox is working on in the roadmap?

We want to make game development as streamlined as possible. The current workflow isn’t awesome, so we are always working towards making it the best experience possible.

1 Like

This is an amazing feature that will definitely help me out when I realise I’ve done something wrong with something that I’ve pasted a thousand times and need to make a small adjustment. :+1:

Amazing, this will become useful for streamlining development of cross-place development, especially when having duplicates of objects.

I’ll test it later. Hope it will boost the workflow a little.

Looks very interesting, can someone explain what this really gives developers as I’m a bit lost with the whole thing, I sort of understand that if you’ve got a model in different places when you restart studio it updates to whatever properties have been set but what if it was like different model positions or something along those lines?

1 Like

Cool stuff! Glad to see the efficiency of developing on ROBLOX is constantly improving!

The “Mass Update” window prompt says that it is recommended that you close other Studio windows before mass updating. Are there any known issues that occur if you do not do this?

1 Like

Are there plans to make packages created in group games go to the group, not the player who created it? I don’t want packages from a group game in my inventory. I want them in the group that the game belongs to.

1 Like

This is a great update! I’m so happy to see…

Wait a minute… *squints* Is that a new colors menu I see?

2 Likes

@Rocky28447 Your Packages in the other windows will not be updated.

@Thundermaker300 Yes, that is on the list of improvements we would like to make.

3 Likes

Great! Now I can create and color characters more easily!