Packages too inflexible to be used effectively

As a developer it is currently too hard to have modular assets within the package system that can be easily modified on an individual basis, without such changes being overwritten by version update.

For example, I have a modular asset which must retain the same particle and other child data within all of its copies, however may be resized or have different tags to suit a scenario. I cannot currently mark the Size property to be ignored or prevent other data points such as tags from being picked up by version update.

I would love to use packages in my game, as it would be incredibly useful for the management of assets without writing my own system however as I see it, as a feature it is severely flawed in its inflexibility and assumption that only the position will be changed.

Here are situations in which packages prove their limitations:

• A copy of a package has been modified however must be updated to the latest version; all modifications are overwritten

• A large amount of unpublished indicators in the explorer, which could be especially dangerous in a collaborative environment, as a dev may mistakenly push and overwrite

In summary packages are inflexible in such a way that they are not a suitable workflow for games of similar/related assets which may mildly vary

8 Likes

100% on board for the philosophy behind this, my only question is the viability of the proposed solution. Packages are currently too rigid in their current format, but I feel like Roblox should highly consider adhering to Unity’s prefab format for what packages should be like.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the same. I didn’t really brush on a solution because I have no idea how the rigidity could be resolved :confused: