Parallel Lua Beta

I know that this makes stuff go faster, but that’s about all I know. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1 Like

is it possible to use this mystical power for client side scripts in order to let clients do even more work without relying on server freeing up even more resources?

Awesome demo! A fix for the memory issues is coming soon :slight_smile: .

That’s the plan! It’s a bit farther off though.

I was wondering if they’re going to add the ability to parallize functions within the same module? I don’t want to have various different actors and the same script under each one just to be able to run in parallel.

It seems like modern frameworks on this platform have a single module dedicated to handling multiple things. How can we parallize these “multiple things” under the same module in this aspect?

7 Likes

Some sort of jit implementation once this is stable would be ridiculously fast is there any possibility of you guys doing that too?? :eyes:

1 Like

This isn’t planned currently, but I could see someone writing a module script library that provided this sort of API and invisibly created actors behind the sceens to do the actual parallel work.

I am able to simulate gravity with about 500 spheres and maintaining 60 FPS

normally performance would drop at 200 spheres so I’m impressed, keep up the good work!

16 Likes

How fast would a 2000x100x2000 chunk of terrain generate with this vs without?

And if we could make shader code that would run on the GPU, could roblox have Minecraft like shaders?

2 Likes

I personally think, that this idea is impossible to properly execute on Roblox, as writing shader code is very hard (see: HLSL and GLSL) as shader code is very very different from your standard Lua.

1 Like

Shader code is very hard, but not impossible :thinking:

GLSL isn’t really hard, and is actually very simple at least to me due to its similarities with C++. I am unsure why you would need to write shaders in Roblox, as it would seem all tools are provided already.

2 Likes

and would make nearly every single game on Roblox be able to look a lot better, and look a lot scarier if it’s a horror game :flushed:

Well, i don’t think even half of developer community (not only devforum ofc) has ever even touched C++ or C. Then there is also a problem with Roblox using multiple rendering APIs depending on user settings. For example, to write some nice shaders for your game, you would have to write GLSL shaders for Vulkan / OpenGL AND separate HLSL code for Direct3D.
a

1 Like

Will ever GPGPU (Like CUDA / OpenCL / Vulkan or OpenGL compute shaders) be considered? I’m aware its not really viable / possible to implement on Roblox, but I cant stop thinking about all these amazing creations that advanced developers would be able to make with parallel GPU computing!

I understand, that’s why I said its easy to learn GLSL if you know C/C++, which is the official language for OpenGL/Vulkan/DirectX.

Actually, DirectX uses HLSL, so you would have to write two separate shaders.

I was talking about C++ being the “official language” for DirectX/Vulkan/OpenGL, but you are correct.

1 Like

To be honest, I wouldn’t really care if there were multiple shader languages, I just want shader code into roblox.