Participate in our first Builder Challenge!

You can’t use materials for Beams, Particles, etc. Furthermore, I suppose that also rules out clothing and such. As it is impossible to make clothing in Roblox itself, you need external programs for this too.

8 Likes

Wow! Such an amazing challenge!
Only one question: there will be a challenge in other fields, for example scripting or UI Design?

8 Likes

Do we can use the “Avatar evolution” studio for making the models? Its still Roblox, or not?

4 Likes

I really like the idea of having a building challenge for Roblox developers hosted by Roblox.
It is a way for small developers to become known in the community and really get that step into the direction everyone wants.

Personally I might do this challenge and I have a question regarding this rule.

Does this mean we cant use for example SBS (studio build suite) and Gapfill?

If we cant that’s alright but that is gonna make is a little bit harder for participants but will get the winners even more recognition, So I like it half and half.

7 Likes

I’m not much of a builder but It’s a chance for me to improve my currently inexistent building skills.

Will definitely participate.

7 Likes

Well then I think maybe Photoshop should be an exception to this rule.

3 Likes

This is awesome but seriously, no external software or plugins?

This is a serious step backward… Roblox is a platform has become more powerful by utilizing external 3D modeling Softwares to have a better workflow, to use things like photo editing software to make new textures, particles, etc.

A building competition should include all skills that can be used in the process of making a game environment, whether this is external 3D modeling Software or photo editing Software or anything else. And no, this isn’t an unfair advantage or cheating. This is a competition after all, and those with a larger skill set will compete and be better.

28 Likes

This is amazing to see this event come back remember some old building events before its amazing to see events come back.

2 Likes

Same question came into my mind.
I think it’s not allowed to use plugins since they are required for the building to actually look smooth, but it isn’t hard to replace the plugin with some math and use the command bar to apply it.
I hope they are allowed (even if only a small amount, like Gapfill) :pray:

2 Likes

Wow! An amazing oportunity i guess. I just have two questions. Can we use plugins as Building Tools by F3X? And… Will there be any prize?

I think this will be a great and amazing challenge! GL everyone!

6 Likes

I was wondering that too, This seems pretty cool!

2 Likes

In my opinion I think this is a great opportunity to learn more about studio but there is so many questions I will bring out the top questions.

-Who are the judges

-Can we use plugins [NO]

-If there is no models can we still used are main assets

-etc

These are currently unanswered please respond if you know as I have no idea I will try to figure this out but currently I don’t know.

I ask this because I want to use the SurfaceApperance instance

Otherwise I will definitely participate (with a friend maybe). Otherwise I have only one question left:
Do we have to create a video where we show how we build our object or not (so bring proof)?

4 Likes

The reward for this challenge is exposure.

As with every other time this has happened, I’m pretty critical of this. Why not provide a real reward for people who submit great creations?

45 Likes

oof why do you gotta do that to my game designer heart :joy:

What qualifies as gameplay? Showcases like Firefly Quarry blend gameplay with a showcase. Would it be okay if we included puzzles, like in that game? Might help keep players in the environment longer, making it more immersive due to the interaction. It could also help the game stand out. Or do you feel that this kind of mechanic violates the spirit of the contest?

Either way, excited to see what people make!

4 Likes

Precisely. I believe it would be important to AT LEAST have photoshop be exempt from the ‘no external programs’ rule. A lot of the creativity comes from it.

10 Likes

I believe you won’t be able to do any models at all. As there is a restriction on third-party programs. I believe the most you can do is a flat-coloured CSG model with a material applied to it. If you really want to go the extra mile you could do fake shadows by using black parts.

I think this restriction is fairly silly.

6 Likes

I think we should be allowed to some sort of software similar to photoshop or photoshop (bcs not everyone has photoshop, meaning it would make it fairer)

3 Likes

Back in the day, this used to be a thing. I’m glad these are coming back, and good luck to everyone participating!

3 Likes

This looks like it would be difficult since we are limited to parts and not external sources such as Blender etc.

7 Likes