Particle effects not displaying in user thumbnail

• Detailed description of bug;
    When roblox creates a thumbnail picture for my avatar, it no longer includes particle effects such as fire, and i’ve heard sparkles however I have not tested this.

• Where the bug happens (be specific);
    This bug happens on my Roblox home page

However also when GetUserThumbnailAsync() is called.

• When it started happening;
    I don’t know a specific date however I noticed this happened about 1-2 weeks ago, at first I assumed it was a blip, however now i’m starting to believe its a bug, it also replicated to the forum when logging in and out, but thats self explanatory.

• Screenshots and videos of the bug;
    New:

Old:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 15.55.42

• Steps to reproduce the issue (be minimal, specific, consistent!);

1. Get Ghosdeeri or any other hat with a fire (or presumably also sparkle) effect.
  2. Equip the hat
  3. Wait for your profile picture to update

Note - Not currently possible to replicate what it would have used to look like, my screenshot is from before the forum updated my profile picture.

• System specs:

Im on Mac, however this change can be seen by other users so I honestly doubt device is relevant here.

6 Likes

It looks like the 3d renderer on the item purchase page also is affected:

Could this bug be the result of Roblox’s website not rendering effects like fire and particles? The hat still has the fire when loaded into Studio:

4 Likes

I think it was too hard to make a default effect texture for thumbnail purposes or the effects are only displayed client side, and studio is just another client but you can actually BUILD without gears

It looks like this has been resolved:

For anyone looking to remake your avatar thumbnail, I’m fairly sure that changing out any hats or redrawing your avatar should update your Roblox thumbnail. Then to update your DevForum profile picture log out of the DevForum then log back in.

Note that the particle effects currently only seem to appear in profile pictures/headshots and not in other avatar renders.

1 Like

This May not necessarily be true, if this was his user thumbnail before the change and he hasn’t changed his avatar since then he would still have this thumbnail

This is still an issue. When I used to have the gear ‘Sparkle Time Lump of Coal’ a few months ago, I had to fiddle with my body colours for around 10 minutes before the particles finally showed up. I’m having a similar problem with ‘Spec Omega Biograft Energy Sword’:

Swapping out your body colours until it just so happens to render properly is a ‘fix’, but a very bad one at that. It takes a lot of time, and doesn’t work with transparent clothing. I hope Roblox actually takes the time to properly fix this so I can wear funny particle items the way they were meant to be.

1 Like

I will use Frozen Horns of the frigids planes as a sample.

New : Frozen Horns of the Frigid Planes - Roblox
Old : Archived Version

Yea , Why Roblox Removed this.

1 Like