Particle Emitters cannot be seen through transparent glass parts

I was playing my game and I noticed that particle emitters cannot be seen through glass parts. When I am not looking through a glass part, I can see it emitting just fine.

But through glass:

To reproduce

• Place a part, then put a particle emitter in it
  • Then put a glass part in front of it
  • See that through the glass the particles won’t emit

Not sure if this is due to engine limitations but I wouldn’t say this isn’t a bug.

12 Likes

Yeah this is due to how the Glass material currently works, and it is considered a bug already, however it’s sort of intentional. A lot of games have been using this to mask certain things in game despite being made clear when it relased that this behaviour was not going to last forever. I am not sure what Roblox’s stance on this are anymore due to its widespread usage. If I’m remembering correctly the original reason for this existing was due to an engine limitation (I think maybe Roblox is working on this for FIB?). Here is a list of objects that I know Glass will “hide”:

1. Parts with transparency
  2. 2D objects (e.g. Surface, particles, explosions, humanoid names, etc)
  3. Transparent Textures/Decals, and BillboardGUIs/ScreenGUIs (even opaque)
9 Likes

Before you replied I actually did a quick check on the developer hub and this actually ended up being the case. Should I just make this a feature request or just wait until this behavior is updated?

1 Like

I think this belongs here as technically it is a bug, it’s just being intentionally left in for now, unless Roblox made the decision not to, but I think it’s a likely possibility that this will change when FIB is starting to be finalized. It probably doesn’t hurt to have it listed as a bug even if it’s kind of already known about as it was bound to be reported eventually.

2 Likes

I would still like this bug to be fixed. Glass is a very nice material, and I have a game with a lot of scenery with snow particles, transparent meshes, ropes, and surface guis, but you cannot see any of it through glass. I am currently using transparent metal as a glass right now, but it doesn’t give out that same effect as glass has.

8 Likes

Perhaps make it an option if you want things such at particles and surface uis to not be seen though or not?

1 Like

Glass is unusable because of this. The color filtering is useful, but refraction should be removed. It’s frustrating that the index of refraction is tied to the transparency, and the rendering behavior makes it useless for what glass is most commonly needed for: Windows.

Looking at water through a glass window at high graphics settings:

The water doesn’t even render. This is unacceptable for built-in materials.

9 Likes

Oh yea, I totally agree on that. That is a huge issue and really just, extreamly bad made, Roblox needs to fix this ASAP. God…