Particle ZOffsets Not Working Correctly

1. What do you want to achieve?:
    I have a black particle I want to show on top of a ring particle (composed of multiple ParticleEmitters).

2. What is the issue?:
    At some angles, the black particle is displayed correctly, and on top of the ring. At others, the ring shows on top of the black particle.

3. What solutions have you tried so far?:
    I have tried changing almost all atributes of ParticleEmitter, to no avail. ZOffset for the black particle is 1 when the rings ZOffset is 0.

Thanks!

It’s probably due to the Transparency of your images, not the Particle Transparency Property or ZOffset.
Transparent images (like .png files) or Transparent Parts have always had issues with Roblox’s graphics engine. They flicker between being in front or behind each other.

1 Like

I have tried to change most properties that affect transparency in the particles (ex LightEmission, Transparency, LightInfluence, Texture). None seemed to help.

It’s not the Properties of the Particles as I stated.
It’s the Transparency of the images you uploaded to Roblox.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying! I have tried changing both particles to have Textures that I am sure are fully opaque, which didn’t fix the issue.

But if they are Textures of the same image then they’ll still have transparency. I’m guessing they were based off .png files.

Both images have solid colours, but they both have areas that fade so they both have transparent ‘backgrounds’ even though your Transparency setting for the image is 0. Otherwise you’d have square or rectangular solid colour images.

1 Like

So there is really no way to fix it in my situation then, right?

Have you tried positioning the black sphere about .2 studs higher rather than at the same level?

I know that some of the transparency issues are that they are ‘z-fighting’ when they are the same distance from the camera so the graphics engine can’t decide which one to display. If the black sphere image was noticeably higher it may fix it when the camera is above that level.

1 Like

Very familiar with z-fighting. I have moved the orb a large amount above the ring, without it helping. I could send you the .rbxl if that will help?

It was just something to try. Too bad it didn’t work. I can’t really help other than what I’ve said already.
Good luck though!

1 Like

Alright, alright. thanks for all your help nonetheless!

Increase the ZOffset of the Black particle more. The only difference it makes is that if the camera gets too close and the value is too high, it will vanish.

This shouldn’t matter though, so just increase the ZOffset slightly until it works. ZOffset on particles that face the camera make them move towards it, and therefore they will always render “above” others. With a ZOffset of only 1, the black orb is only being moved a single stud.

I’m not sure if you tried this yet, so sorry if this isn’t super useful. But that’s how I usually fix this issue.

1 Like

I really appreciate the responce! I just tried your solution, again to no avail. Values above 2 still don’t fix the clipping issue, and (as you said) makes the particle not visible close to the camera, with the added ‘bonus’ that the particle clips into the arms of my rig. The only values I have tested that have COMPLETELY fixed the issue are values above 5, but values like these have the same fatal flaws mentioned, just much worse.

Image of rig clipping:

Should I open a bug report regarding this issue?