Particles account for Lifetime when TimeScale is at 0

Hi!

I’m currently working on a system to freeze and unfreeze particles. However, I’ve stumbled into a problem regarding Lifetime and TimeScale.

Here’s a video regarding the issue at hand:

As you can see, the particle move nicely. I set the TimeScale property to 0 which freezes the particles. I wait roughly 3-4 seconds (in the video) and then reset the TimeScale back to the original value. And surprise, surprise, all the frozen particles disappear.

I’m positive this has to do with the TimeScale and Lifetime properties sort of ‘clashing’ and I have literally no clue on how I could wobble my mind around this.

Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is not a scripting related issue, please use a different category.

2 Likes

Apologies for the lack of information, but I’m changing the Lifetime property and TimeScale property via a script. I used studio as a method to showcase the issue at hand.

To be more direct, I use a bar to change the Lifetime and TimeScale as such:

local inverseSpeed = (1 / speed)

particleEmitter.TimeScale = inverseSpeed
particleEmitter.Lifetime = NumberRange.new(particleEmitter:GetAttribute("OriginalLifetime") * inverseSpeed)

Have you tried not changing the Lifetime of the Particle Emitter?

2 Likes

The same issue is present unfortunately. I’ll update this thread if I find a solution. Thanks for the reply though!

This must be an engine bug, they mustve changed some behaviour with particles and now this stuff starts messing up. i didnt have these issues before

unfortunately, i cant make engine bug posts :slight_smile:

1 Like