Parts create illuminated shadows, creating undesired effects especially at night

To my knowledge, this started with FIB 2.5 and the new diffuse and specular properties

Objects seem to generate a “light shadow”, almost as if there’s a light under each part. In the images and repro below, the phenomenon is fairly clear, at night especially.

Here’s a repro file:
https://devforum.roblox.com/uploads/short-url/gJi4gXzLQCynGBG6Bk5acF9k1Ui.rbxl

And here’s repro steps:

1. Open new place
  2. Create a large cube and levitate it off the ground
  3. Set the time to night, the brightness to 0, and the Diffuse and Specular properties to 1.

Notice the large amount of light under the cube. Set the brightness to 1, and you’ll see the “sun” shadow appear, but the light shadow stays.

Brightness 0:

Brightness 1:

You can even see it at day time! It’s separate from the ShadowMap shadows.

My speculation is that it’s some sort of unintended leftover from an older lighting system, but it’s just a guess.

System info:
i7 4790k
16GB ram
GTX 980

Edit: After further investigation, this only occurs with the diffuse scale property on.

1 Like

cc: @programeow -said they were working on a fix

Actually this will not be fixed in the near future. A possible fix will hurt current performance. So we decided not to fix it. EnvDiffuseScale doesn’t do much if it’s dark, why do you need it in the first place?

It allows the skybox to be at least somewhat visible at night, AKA clouds

Hi-just wanted to let you know that this is still an ongoing issue. Parts still create illuminated shadows at night. I can’t just set the value in Studio one way or another because the game has a dynamic timecycle, so currently to get around this, I tween EnvironmentDiffuseScale to 0.5 during night and 1 during day, but this is not as performant as I’d like. I’m sure this value wasn’t meant to be tweened.

I’m not entirely sure what priority Roblox has on lighting, but an update of some sort would be great! Thanks

2 Likes