Path2D Full Release

This looks oddly exactly like the module I made 3 years ago with the same functionality as this. It almost seems as though someone saw my module and decided to make it a Roblox feature.

17 Likes

Wowā€¦ your module is really impressive and ironically very similar to what is posted hereā€¦ I love what you did @bhristt and hopefully you get credit for where credits due.

10 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Iā€™m happy to say that weā€™ll be adding your suggestion in an upcoming version! Itā€™s on our to-do list and should be rolled out along with any potential bug fixes that come in with this post-launch period.

9 Likes

Cant wait to make a Bloons TD clone with a fixed camera!
This is REALLY useful for everyone

13 Likes

I really hope we get per-control point colouring for path2ds eventually, itā€™s a feature I was really hoping this would get.

8 Likes

I wanted this kind of things to come out of beta, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I just needed to program a graphic using this instance, and finally it came out of beta, thank you!

5 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see how I can use this in my projects. And even more fun, I canā€™t wait to see what other developers create with this!

I can already see the race track UI :tongue:

6 Likes

THEY COOKED :pray::pray::pray:

I love this feature so much, thank you roblox!
One question though, when anti-aliasing?

5 Likes

Never heard of Path2Ds before this announcement so I decided to give them a try and I really like them and will use them for my game!

https://gyazo.com/9a2c223ed9d603259292ee0aa2d9b45f

7 Likes

The possibilities have expanded tremendously. Although itā€™s a feature intended for 2D, it allows for incredible control over the movement of 3D objects and other values. Thank you so much for introducing this amazing feature.

6 Likes

Hopefully this opens the door for more ā€œpathā€ related UI features (I would absolutely love support for vector-based image assets, SVG icons in UI would be incredible)

7 Likes

Honestly not a big fan of this feature. It doesnt solve anything that developer cant already do in engine, and doesnt provide a significant amount of utility. The entire feature is a spline visualizer, something thats been done 1000x over.

This wouldā€™ve been much better off as a plugin/dev module, and wouldā€™ve required minimal work to create by the community.

What I do find interesting about this feature is the introduction of a curved UI element, which makes me believe weā€™re getting closer to having vector images in Roblox :tada: (unless this is just a bunch of tiny frames stitched together)

6 Likes

Can you just likeā€¦ let Roblox add new things instead of complaining that they already exist via a community-made asset? What downside is there to adding new engine features?

20 Likes

I loved it! There are so many possibilities with this. I imagine more 2D multiplayer experiences are coming soon. And many more polished UI. Great work, dev team!

3 Likes

now that this got released
we can basically now animate Guis (cool :D)

4 Likes

Looks awesome, excited to try it out! Congratulations on the release, team!

3 Likes

Because this feature was done very lazily in my opinion, and hereā€™s why:

• Roblox is a multi platform engine, and one of my main pain points is the fact that this item cannot be scaled at all; it argues the point that why not just make a system of nodes and generate the spline yourself, which then defeats the purpose of this instance.

• This item is not compatible with UIGradients

• This item is not AntiAliased, which again, gives it no benefit over things that are already possible.

8 Likes

It has a width property, and try putting it in a frame :slight_smile:

Is there a community-made resource for displaying splines that is compatible with UIGradients?

I donā€™t think it was really designed to be mostly used as a display element, all of the examples given use one of the position functionsā€¦

2 Likes

Is there any plan to have anti-aliasing with path2d paths?

3 Likes

worth the wait,ā€¦,.,.,.,.

also was the issue with SurfaceGui position fixed here? Iā€™d like to experiment making something similar to LineRenderer from unity, using spring constraint just werenā€™t visually good for me.

2 Likes