Path2D Full Release

Which issue are you referring to? The one where everything in surface and billboard guis was offset up a little is fixed. Is there a different one you know of? Thanks!

2 Likes

from the previous post mentioned before, gladly that itā€™s been fixed on release.

This is an amazing feature - great work to those who worked on it.

I do have one question - in particular to hierarchy placement

Path2D will also work as a child of any GuiObject but it wonā€™t ignore folders like other UI elements.

I have noticed that if a Path2D is inside a GuiObject that is a child of a Folder, the Path2D ā€˜control panelā€™ will not show up. Is this intentional or something that may be addressed in the future?

I really like to use folders for organization if possible - but for now any Path2D usage will be in objects not children to folders.

Thanks for this feature!

1 Like

Giving feedback, whether positive or negative, is a crucial part of Robloxā€™s growth process. Introducing new features, especially if they donā€™t significantly enhance the user experience, can lead to software bloat or redundancy.

Two really good examples of currently reduntant features are Fire and Smoke. Both of these were replaced by ParticleEmitters, but still exist in the engine for no real reason other than they cant delete them since itā€™d break so many old games. Similarly, Path2D is a redundant feature to all of the community-made modules and plugins; it was effectively a deprecated feature before it even launched.

For this feature, in particular, its use case is unbelievably niche. In the decade Iā€™ve been on this platform, I can count the number of times Iā€™ve needed a 2D spline on a UI as a position reference with no fingers. This new instance wouldā€™ve been much more helpful as a 3D spline editor, and even that is redundant. People may develop an excellent use case for this, but this is undoubtedly a lazy feature.

2 Likes

This might be the best thing The Roblox Corporation has done for the 2d aspect of studio

Custom solutions are more customizable. It makes no sense for more stuff to be added to the engine if itā€™s worse than a resource someone else made.

Yes, but letā€™s say I draw a path and I mess up the positioning, I canā€™t center this item or scale it so I would have to remake it every time.

RobloxStudioBeta_ahFfA9nCe5

1 Like

Best thing iā€™ve seen in terms of UI stuff yet, great job.

Very handy for movement/positioning.

Can we expect anti-aliasing to be implemented? Perhaps toggled using a separate property.

Path3D would be awesome for camera cutscenes.

1 Like

Great job. When Roblox release full version of Editable Mesh? Can we get approximate date?

Splines and Bezier curves arenā€™t a uncommon feature in most game engines.
Not to mention there are tons of other APIs just like that - even with Bernstein polynomials.

No credit due, although the module itself is good resource.

6 Likes

Awesome new feature, will make sure to experiment with, thanks!

As someone who used to tutor Adobe Illustrator in college, Vector spline tools have been on my wish list for years!

Will there be a feature to see the total length of the spline?

1 Like

Anyone else having an issue where when constantly updating control point positions the path goes invisible? For me, this happened. Although, for some reason, constantly changing the viewport size seems to make it show (and then it doesnt update anymore when the viewport size is static)

1 Like

Hi, this sounds like an issue, can you create a minimal repro and post it, I will take a look. Thanks

path2dissue.rbxl (66.1 KB)

https://gyazo.com/c983c0ef85233cfe13fc32229a48abe3.mp4

Okay, looks like a bug with Path2D as a child of CanvasGroups, I have a fix but in the mean time, you can use Path2D as a direct child of the ScreenGui and it should work. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Is right clicking on a control point then left click supposed to enable mouse camera movement?

1 Like

Great update, also looking forward to the release of EditableImages, whenever that is. It looks like a great way to display pixel art while maintaining performance.

2 Likes