Pathfinding Distance is too small?

Got a slight issue with Pathfinding Range.

Assuming the Navigation mesh is showing me where the subject can and cannot go, why is it that the range is so limited? It can’t even travel a relatively small distance (outside of the purple regions to pathfind to the nearest dummy). Once I shorten the right side of the wall leaving a gap within the purple region (circled in green), the character model then begins to move considering it can travel there.

I drew a red arrow indicating what I expect of the character to travel however it isn’t an option??

Any ideas or explanations to this? Apologies for being extremely unexperienced with this.

1 Like

Create custom checkpoints and do intermediate pathfinding to those checkpoints so it’s not stressing the system to calculate longer distances. You know the layout of your map but Roblox does not.

I did consider checkpoints, however, I was wondering if there is a more convenient solution upfront first. Are you sure that’s all I’m left with doing?

Anyone have an actual explanation?

Still curious about this, if anyone has any conclusions as to why this is like this exactly.

Did you try the pathfinding on a baseplate?

To elaborate on what I’m saying: Put a dummy at the edge of the map and the goal/ target, then try it out, if it works then add obstacles. (you don’t need to wait for another 1 hour just to do this)

But what I can think of is using pathfinding modifiers unfortunately.

Roblox’s built-in pathfinding is actually pretty amazing for what it is. It’s pretty good for beginners or just for someone needing to pathfind in a pinch.

That said, pathfinding in general is pretty expensive (as in, takes a lot of time and memory). Especially with Roblox’s pathfinding because it doesn’t know the map or have a navmesh already made. Therefore, the provided Roblox method can’t pathfind long distances because it would simply take too much time and memory to generate a suitable path.

A custom pathfinding implementation can be a lot more efficient and customizable. If you’re not up for that, a intermediate solution could be done as previously suggested; you could use checkpoints to pathfind in smaller paths to the target location.

1 Like

If I put a Dummy near the pathfinder in an area it apparently cannot get to, it immediately loads that spot and allows it to traverse that area. If that makes sense.

Was going to consider checkpoints if there is truly no other more convenient solution like I stated.