Pathfinding now supports Climbable Trusses

You know how Raycasting accepts an IgnoreList and a WhiteList? Well, I would love something like that for this, so when I tell my NPC to walk to somewhere he ignores a bunch of objects.

Doesn’t cost means that he will ignore that material if there are other ways? I believe that if you are on an island, and the only thing that there is around you is water and I tell it to walk to another island it will literally swim to it. If I am wrong, please correct me.

This is kinda like the first point, but it could be a list you pass to CreatePath named Hazardous which the pathfinding will avoid.

That’s the issue, it returns a path with no success; however, I would love a way for me to tell the pathfinder to return some waypoints that I can use to walk near the goal.

For example:
NPC: :man_running:
Objstacle: :red_circle: (A huge wall that makes the path impossible)
Goal: :green_circle:
Path: →

:man_running: :red_circle: :green_circle:

Since there is an obstacle and you cannot reach the goal, I would love that Pathfinding returns to me all the waypoints before reaching the obstacle. I haven’t checked if it does this when the path has no success, but yeah. It’s mainly useful when you want an object to follow a player from their PrimaryPart’s position which pathfinding thinks it’s blocked because of something in the way.

5 Likes

They probably won’t add it since there’s pathfinding modifiers and costs sadly. It would definitely make it easier.

If you set it to math.huge then it won’t at all, even when it can’t find another path that doesn’t.

Yeah that would be helpful.
I guess the only workaround right now is to just use MoveTo to the goal when it can’t find a path (and you could use Raycasting to see if it’s actually blocked)

4 Likes

It is a great work for pathfinding. However, I would like a param which can set up the default waiting/blocked time if pathfinding cannot be completed.

3 Likes

I’m so glad this came out; I’m looking forward to any more pathfinding improvements!

4 Likes

Amazing addition to the pathfinding service!! :smiley:

5 Likes

Awesome update! Good work Roblox! Can’t wait the next update you’ll offer us!

3 Likes

This is a step forward, however as of now many features are missing making it more valuable to just create our own patbfinding

4 Likes

Yes, finally, I’m actually happy about this change since PathFinding has gotten a lot better than it used to be.

4 Likes

This is an awesome feature! I have had to use trusses in my games and found the previous method annoying, so this clears up a lot of issues for me! :grinning:

4 Likes

so many good development updates lately! first the cframes, and now this???

4 Likes

You can already test in the studio ? I checked it does not work for me

4 Likes

This is nice now that I don’t have to include Pathfinding links with custom actions to climb ladders. However, what about the problem with the NPC navigating over terrain in a tunnel. I’m having all kinds of problems with that.

3 Likes

CLIMBING! Awesome implementation, props to the Roblox team! This will save so much time, as PathfindingLinks were honestly really annoying. This was an awesome thing to add, considering I was just getting into PathfindingService haha

3 Likes

Hmm, could’ve sworn I’d seen enemies in my projects climbing ladders to reach me already, but it’s good to have more fine grained control over this kind of thing regardless.

A way to keep NPCs from running into walls, particularly if they’re very small/large (0.5 studs or 50 studs wide/tall, that kind of thing) would be nice. I don’t want them touching the walls. Might be an issue with my own code (randomly generated maps prevent PathfindingLinks from being utilized and admittedly I’m not too good with this kind of thing in general) though…

4 Likes

Finally, climbable trusses (not even ladders) after who knows how many YEARS.

A nice addition but this should have been added years ago, also it’s not even complete as NPCs seem unable to climb ladders made out of parts.

6 Likes

Imagine the possibilities! No longer will you sit there while the AI just waits there, they will run after you, RUN.

3 Likes

It isn’t AI.

In OP, it mentioned truss climbing. I was wondering if this worked for non-truss ladders.

2 Likes

would you mind to sent me a testing place? I can take a look.

2 Likes

i created a new place and it works there, but when i transferred the same humanoid to my game place, it doesn’t work, see the video below

new place

my game place

the same script in the new place works, but not in my game

ClimbingTest.rbxl (48.8 KB)

2 Likes

i cant wait to use this in my game ive been working on. JK LOL IM DELETED

3 Likes