Pathfinding now supports Climbable Trusses

Wonderful! Although I haven’t used a lot of path finding myself it’s definitely something I’ve been looking into as of lately.

2 Likes

This is an absolutely amazing update… if it weren’t for the characters not being able to jump down if they climb up. I did some testing with one of my Roblox games and this issue occurred. It can easily let Zombies get stuck on high areas if you don’t make pathfinding links to allow it.

I’d love an AgentCanFall variable (which also was suggested by @Razorter) that defaults on for backwards compatibility with games that have AgentCanJump enabled in their movement. It would be super useful for characters that can’t jump but can fall. Also, there should also be an AgentJumpHeight or AgentJumpPower variable that would be super useful with AgentCanJump.

4 Likes

Thank you for the test place and videos. The find path code looks good.
I saw you show the random color waypoint blocks in the test place. Do you also show the random color waypoints blocks on the game? If the waypoints blocks were showed on the platform means the path was success, the NPC was blocked somehow.
If you can reproduce the issue in the testing place, I can debug that.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you, I think AgentCanFall is good idea.

6 Likes

Why does it work on the newly created place, but not on mine? It seems that it only works in new places

2 Likes

the problem is that humanoid climbing does not work inside a walled map, what to do in this case ?

4 Likes

This issue is still prominent. Here is a place that perfectly recreates the issue. It would appear as though its due to the fact it’s taking place in an enclosed space.
EnclosedTrussPathfindingDemo.rbxl (55.4 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you for recreating the issue. I will work on this issue.
@Agent_4004 I think EnclosedTrussPathfindingDemo.rbxl reproduce the the issue you meet.

1 Like

I think sometime in the future I will be using pathfindingService and this new addition will definitely help.

2 Likes

No problem, I appreciate you looking into it. Please keep me updated on when this is fixed!

2 Likes

Good to see they still update pathfinding, great work.

2 Likes

i can finally make a good ai. This is honestly the best pathfinding feature since pathfinding modifiers

2 Likes

have you tried Increasing the agent radius a little. In the test it is only 1 and the radius that would clear the diagonals is slightly under 1.12

It’s a small difference but could stop them getting caught on edges like this.

1 Like

on another place, exactly the same script works, it does not work on a map that is surrounded by walls

1 Like

did i reply to the wrong one? sorry if I did, I was talking about the second video posted where they got stuck approaching it from the side.

The other issue actually appears to be if there is any CanCollide = true part above the truss.
and surrounding walls are just a red herring in that one. Still sure it is not intended behavior though :slight_smile:

1 Like

when I raised a ladder on my map above the walls, it started to work correctly for me, so it seems to me that this is because of the walls

1 Like

In your case, is there a roof on the wall?
The known issue is if there is a obstacle(CanCollide=true) above the truss then the agent doesn’t climb the truss.
I tested with the truss surrounded by walls without a roof, it works.

4 Likes

The other issue actually appears to be if there is any CanCollide = true part above the truss.
Right, it’s a known issue. we’re working on it.

3 Likes

yes i have a roof, i hope you fix it soon

2 Likes

Does this mean agent radius is fixed? For the longest time pathfinding has completely ignored agent radius and it has flat out not worked, a staff member told me it would be updated in January with some new pathfinding overhauls but you guys seem to be adding new agent params now?

Reference bug post here even mentioning this new post: PathfindingService doesn't always use agent params; makes service unusable for large characters

2 Likes