PBR effects weak

Im making a game where i will use only PBR textures but their effects are weak. Someone know how to fix it? And textures are not fully loaded and they are blurry.
Roblox screen:

Blender screen(all normal maps strenght are 10.000):

1 Like

Node screen(Using addon Node-Wrangler)

2 Likes

You can’t do anything about this. Roblox engine simply sucks.

3 Likes

I know. And i hate one thing about textures is maximum size is 1024x1024.

1 Like

Having a texture size of 1024x1024 is fine. It’s not too much of a big deal, what is, is the fact that the engine doesn’t support displacement maps which could drastically improve the PBR experience. As well as not supporting intensity.

1 Like

In my game i’m using only normal, diffuse, roughness and metallic maps.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that. I am saying that roblox should more maps. For the post itself, there is nothing you can do about it unless you can go into blender and make a really high poly brick but that’s just stupid.

2 Likes

Anyways, can i fix it? -_–________

1 Like

Yes, im think roblox need more maps too.

1 Like

Nope, sadly. Unless you do what I said above.

It’s a shame that this can’t be easily fixed, I even tried using material variant, but it didn’t help either, but in any case, I don’t really want to take ready-made materials from the toolbox, or, as you said, increase the number of polygons.

Do you think it could have something to do with your graphics settings?

my graphic level is 21 -------

Some real misinformation is being spread here. Shame.

For other developers who run into this and want an actual answer, the problem has to do with how OP’s Blender shader is set to strengthen the effects of the normal map. The problem is simply that the normal map image itself is weak. It’s not an engine problem, the problem is how someone created the normal map texture. The Roblox engine is simply using the information stored into the normal map and accurately applying it to the surfaces.

To better illustrate the problem, here are two different normals maps I created. The normal map on the right has a higher contrast and the pixels have more exteme values.

Here is what they look like in studio:

The rock on the left has ‘weaker’ light reflections because the left normal map has a lower constrast and the colors trend more towards the default normal map “purple” (r=0.5, g=0.5, b=1). I won’t go into details, but basically any places in a normal map where you see more green, cyan, magenta (instead of purple) are places where light is told to bounce more sideways instead of back up. So images with higher contrast appear more bumpy.

What OP’s shader is essentially doing is transforming the input image such that each individual pixel becomes less purple to make it more bumpy before applying the result to a surface. Roblox instead expects that developers apply these transformations to their images before uploading them to the cloud.

Okay so how do you actually fix this? The idea is that you will be editing your normal maps in a way that make them look more bumpy. With a quick Google search I found this video for Blender which not only shows you how to fix the problem, but it also goes more in-depth on what normal maps are and how the math behind normal maps actually works.

I recommend anyone interested in making PBR textures to learn more about how normal maps work. A thorough understanding of the tech behind it is super beneficial to your creation process and will make it easier to solve these situations.

7 Likes

Its possible to make normal map more stronger in materialize app if normal map i did in that app?

You have to increase the strength of the normal map in the texture itself. Doing so in blender does nothing, it’s not a matter of roblox engine being bad, but moreso the normal map just not being strong enough.

Thank you, seeing people comment on something they know nothing about is sad : (

This is understandable, but what if you want to make a weak effect, but the effect in Roblox makes it even weaker?

Thank you for your help! ITS REALLY WORKS!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.