PBR fail to load (non albedo only)

Reproduction Steps
Visit, or (if appended) download the place file(s).

Both places contain MeshPart instances with SurfaceAppearance instance inside.

Both places assets were uploaded via Asset Manager.
For image assets, frequent rejection occurred, Uplaods were repeated until successful.
For mesh assets, all were immediately successful, and all are always visible in game.

Both places have all assets visible in Studio, but, varyingly in game, images in the non-albedo/color SurfaceAppearance channel do not show up (Particularly Normals, possibly Roughness, Metallicity).

Expected Behavior
Confident that I’ve used the Roblox Studio’s Asset Manager’s Bulk Import feature to manually import my images, and mesh files, and followed through to get at least one confirmation for each upload, and use the successful upload, I should be able to expect my assets to present themselves in the live game, to myself and then others (after moderation approval, shown by the image being visible on site in my inventory>decals).

Actual Behavior

Non-albedo often fails to load, as if by random pick. Open place links:

Foyer 1: Foyer 1 - Roblox

Sometimes, these Normal maps (N) just don’t load. Here shown, it’s the same image in the channel for both chairs

Publishing Plant: Publishing Plant - Roblox

There are several test planes that are intended to included multiple channels, but visually, dont:

Same objects in studio:

Here is the devconsole, full of asset failed-to-load messages:

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2021-09-30 12:09:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-10-14 07:10:00 (-04:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue. If you are seeing that asset failed messages that usually means there’s something wrong in the setup. It’d be great if you can send the place file so I can investigate. I will send you DM shortly.

1 Like

I believe we figured out the issue, it should be showing up properly now.

In this particular case, we had a bug whereby if you have assets with full URL. For example if you had SurfaceAppearance input textures specified in full URL: http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=some_id, it might not function correctly. It had to be specified in rbxassetid://some_id (this is actually the preferred form). This bug has recently been fixed.

1 Like

If this issue reoccurs, please create a new topic for us to look into. Thanks!