PBR Support for the Unified Smart Mesh Importer Beta

Thanks! It’s now 01:04 and I’m lying in bed downloading pbr textures ,this will help my workload a lot when i get back on pc.

When wull the unified smart mrsh impoeter replace thr existing one, like when u click meshid in w meshpart

edit: also thanks for the new mobile DevForum font, otherwise my eyes would b on fire rn

So glad Roblox added this. I need this very much. Does it work on mobile?

2 Likes

Bro, they got sued. What do you want them to do?

1 Like

So, I’m referring to a mesh with different materials, let’s say, uh, in Blender, I have a gun. Said gun has 2 materials: The main gun itself, and then the magazine. There is no separate mesh for the magazine itself. I can apply both textures to the materials on one mesh in Blender just fine, however, when I import it into ROBLOX Studio, only one of the textures is imported, say, uh, the magazine texture. Said magazine texture covers the entire gun, causing it to look ugly.

1 Like

Now we just need an increase to the texture resolution limiter, from a measly 1024x1024 to something up to the industry-standard, I.E. 2048x2048 / 4096x4096… :skull:

(4096x4096 Deinonychus textures in SubstancePainter to the left Vs. 1024x1024 in Roblox to the right.)

9 Likes

This is extremely nice to have. Bless the engineers behind this update. Thank you.

1 Like

This is due to roblox only allowing one texture per mesh, what you can do is bake both the textures to one texture, blender allows you to do this quite easily. Render Baking — Blender Manual

Why only go to 2K, perhaps 4K or higher?

1 Like

Because 2K is more compatiable.
I’m not quite sure if 4K can be possible in roblox 's engine…

There’s a problem: I don’t use 2.79.

Finally! It used to be impossible to import complex scenes with hundreds of parts…

Baking isn’t exclusive to 2.79, just search a little and you’ll figure out how.

Update as of 2022-03-30T07:00:00Z: We’re aware of an issue when unchecking a node with a texture associated with it, and are actively working on a fix. We are going to leave the feature enabled for now, as from initial testing it’s only a preview issue and the uploaded model will be correct.

1 Like

These images show 2k textures being uploaded? Is this just a mistake, or can I hope for something?

This is just the initial size of the textures I used in the example, they got down sampled during import the same as normal.

1 Like

i doubt they will, they got a lawsuit cause of it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.