PBR SurfaceAppearance Normal/Roughness Maps don't load in-game

Inside of my game (The Lookout), one of our custom mesh characters has a UV mapped texture that fails to load the roughness and normal maps inside of the game, but it loads fine within studio and within a certain other game.
In-Studio:

In-game:

4 Likes

equally terrifying, isn’t surface appearance in beta?

1 Like

It’s live now. SurfaceAppearance works on some of the other creatures but this one doesn’t appear to have working normals in-game.

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

thats a beta feature thingy only available in studio.
Roblox will release that feature for in game too in the future, I don’t know when tho.

It’s available for all games, it’s just that only beta users can edit surfaceappearance.

1 Like

Check the output window, and remove and re-add a texture to fix it.

I am having the same issue in one of my places.

I created two places using PBR textures.

In the first one, everything loads fine and everything works perfect. Aside from some issues while I was developing it in the beginning. I had the issue of some stuff dissapearing randomly that used PBR stuff and some surfaceappearances just randomly getting deleted

Link: PBR TEST - EXPERIMENT - SHOWCASE - Roblox

In the second one, I made some urns and a trim sheet for the walls. The trim sheet is just not working. I tried different resolution textures, different meshes, different names and nothing works. In roblox in-game if I press f9 it says that the surfaceappearances failed to load. I also tried deleting that surfaceappearance and reapplying a new one, nothing works.

Link: PBR LIGHTNING EXPERIMENT - Dark Tomb - 3D Urns - Roblox

It is quite frustrating, but I hope Roblox continues to push the PBR settings. I love how they look in Roblox, but in all honesty it is quite frustrating to have these.

Cheers!

Note: these experiences may not be available in the future if I decide to unpublish or move them or these may be updated. Load them if you want to see what I am talking about, especially the second one. The wall is supposed to be a trim wall with the four PBR textures but in-game it just looks like a flat plain texture… :sad: [Written: 3/30/2022]

1 Like

I’ve had this problem before, after having so many Meshes and SurfaceAppearances load, it started to struggle loading them all successfully. Try

game:GetService("ContentProvider"):PreloadAsync:({SurfaceAppearances})

The reason it works in Studio is because the content is already in memory, if I’m not mistaken. As you start a server environment anew, it has to curate that content again. With the ContentProvider, you’re assuring it loads in to the new server environment, for the client.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a quick update on my situation probably if someone has this exact same issue or something.

My down-sized 512x512 slightly renamed PBR texture maps are now working fine in-game… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I am not a programmer or scripter so not really sure what happened there. It may be because my original texture was too large for the game 2K, I honestly do not know. But I just replaced all my textures with the 512x512 ones. Some quick solution, probably not the most optimal one but if someone reads, this helped me. The reply above for the content provider my bro iknosabuk who is a scripter/programmer said is a great method too.

Cheers! and have a nice day!

PS: I noticed something weird though that also happened to me in my first PBR scene [toxic barrels one]. This also happened after posting here and while trying the script method, did some more quick research. The one I am talking about is the second one [dark tombs]. But one of my surface textures got deleted from nowhere. It almost feels like someone else is there in Studio with me somehow… ??? my team member is not there with me at the moment though - This only has happened to me a few times. :thinking:

1 Like