PBR textures on NPC meshes

I was wondering if it’s possible to use PBR textures (with normal/roughness/etc) on a custom mesh that I’ve rigged to use as an NPC. I know you can use them on a MeshPart but my rigs break when I use those.

Is there a way to a) put PBR textures on a character that is not made of MeshParts or b) use textured MeshParts with a rigged character?

I haven’t seen this question anywhere else, so let me know if there’s already info out there. Otherwise, does anyone have thoughts? Not sure if it is relevant, but I model/rig/animate in Blender and import with .fbx to Roblox Studio.

2 Likes

I see no reason why it wouldn’t be possible. When you say your rig breaks, what do you mean?

If you want a PBR texture that doesn’t use a uv map, you can turn your PBR into a MaterialVariant and then apply it as a Material.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Are you using SpecialMeshes? If you don’t convert them to MeshParts, then I don’t believe there’s a way to use PBR, as SurfaceAppearances only work on MeshParts and materials are not applied on them either, so you can’t use the MaterialVariant approach @Hazelfluff described.

2 Likes

oh yeah… I was thinking of parts. but if you made the mesh in blender then its probably not made of parts… whoops

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.