Performance issues when part selected in scale mode

A significant frame drop is experienced when a part is selected and the Scale tool is enabled. This issue was also experienced by another developer I know.

This issue likely applies to larger sized games.

Video

Expected behavior

No frame drop should be experienced.

10 Likes

A video of the same issue taken by another developer:

1 Like

I can confirm that this is replicatable for an experience that has a lot of parts

With lots:

With less:

While I suspect it could be related to the GPU being bottlenecked or running out of resources, I cannot confirm that since I do not have anything higher than a GTX 960.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for reporting!
What’s the approximate number of parts in the larger places?

3 Likes

Part count in the game of the first video is around 74K parts.
Second video is around 350K parts (yeah, it’s a lot).

Performance may worsen as part count increases.

Part count can also be seen in the videos cvlai posted.

1 Like

Hey, the second clip posted by Real_BenTheMiner is actually my clip from a large game that my group is creating which involves 3 other active developers having the same issue.

It has over 350k parts. I believe as the part count, size of the map, and complexity of the map increases, the fps drops become increasingly worse.

I’ve tested many of our maps ranging from the 75k part to 350k part range and I’ve seen it gradually get worse.

**And to note, the part count and the size of the map has never been an issue before. I’ve had this problem since 5 - 21 - 24 and since then, I’ve been trying to get access to reply to forum posts.

Ex 1: One map which had around 150k parts and when selecting the scaling tool, moving my camera around and resizing an object would drop my frames from 60 to around 45

Ex 2: One map which had around 200k parts and my frames dropped from around 58 to around 35.

^^ And here above is the clip that I asked Real_BenTheMiner to send. It has over 350k parts. I usually get around 55 frames when building and when I start using the scale tool, it dropped incredibly to around 10 frames. I was very confused and thought it was a hardware issue, but since I have a very capable computer, I crossed that out.

I even tested other computers in my house like my older brother’s computer which has an i9-14900k and an RTX 4090 in it and still would have the same scale tool issue, so I drew the conclusion that it was a Roblox Studio bug and not any sort of hardware issue.

My specs are:

i7-13700k
RTX 4070
64 GB 6000MHZ DDR5 RAM
2TB SSD Samsung 980 Pro

If there’s anything that I should send, let me know and I will do it.

1 Like

Hi guys,
We’ve been experiencing exactly the same bugg since a couple of weeks. I’ve contacted the techical support but they haven’t got a fix for it (yet). The part count for our map is around 600k. https://youtu.be/sKR05rpIAHo

4 Likes

Can confirm having this issue across multiple people on places with 130k and 270k parts. Cuts my framerate completely in half If the scale tool is selected and I’m scaling objects.

3 Likes

It appears the issue magically fixed itself after ROBLOX went down and went back up today. I believe I have some microprofiles saved in my computer if someone is willing to take a look at it. Keep this thread open in case it happens again.

Here’s a video of it:

1 Like

Yep, performance is way better on my end as well.

1 Like

I looked into this briefly and couldn’t repro (though I have run into it in the past). Going to circle back to it soon, it hasn’t been missed.

A Microprofile would be much appreciated if I don’t end up being able to repro it.

1 Like

Unfortunately the old microprofiles I had from 3 weeks ago got corrupted, so I only have 1 really recent one which seems to show the problem towards the last few frames. (26 - 32 Frames show the major spike)

microprofile-20240609-005056.html (3.2 MB)

The problems I had are gone too, so maybe this was fixed in the last update or so?..

3 Likes

Is this still being looked into? It seems to have been fixed (intentional or not).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.