Performance question: Should i use 1 combined mesh or saparate multiple meshes

I want to export a mesh from blender that is 24k triangles, what is better for roblox performance,

1. the entire mesh.
  2. to saparate the mesh to 6 smaller meshes of 4k triangles each(6*4=24k)
    what will improve the performance?

I think you should use the second option as Roblox Studio does not allow uploading meshes that contains more than 10K triangles. I’ve already encountered this error message as shown below.

Error Message

Using the second method even if the mesh has less than 10,000 triangles, can be better for performance and is easier to use in Roblox Studio as it can sometimes bug when using 3D elements that have a high number of polygons but it depends on your preferences and if you need to apply different textures to your mesh.

1 Like

ROBLOX allows to upload meshes up do 30000k triangles. thanks

before i mark as solution i want to see if other people think the same

Separating it into multiple meshes will:

• Increase the loading time because the game will have to load 6 differents meshes instead of a single one.
  • Reduce performances because the game will have to calcul the physical properties of 6 differents meshes instead of a single one.
  • Reduce even more performances because in your case, all your meshes will be in collision agains’t each others which will take more ressources for Roblox to calcul.
  • It have no benefits because, anyway, the total triangles count will remain the same.

The best thing you can do would be to “decimate” your mesh as much as possible in blender to have less triangles and import it in studio as a single mesh.

1 combined mesh is better as it allows for less collissions and visual computing. You can export meshes with many triangles if you import them using the Import-3D option in the avatar tab. But if you want visuals and better collissions it’s better to use seperate meshes than to use one singular mesh with CollissionFidelity set to “PresiceConvexDecomposition”.

that makes sense, thank you! !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.