Phantom Forces Fan Art Feedback

Hello there!
I started to try to create Phantom Forces fan art, and I was questioning myself if I were to do it in blender, or draw it on my phone. I decided to draw the Phantom Forces mascot on paper, take a picture of it, then trace it on my phone.
This was a small project for me, and it was to help train me to become a better 2D artist.
(NOTE: I’m not the best at drawing 2D anime style characters yet, so please critique the drawing, so I can learn from my mistakes.)
The drawing:

Please tell me how to improve on this, and the things you both like and dislike.
(sorry for the odd pose, I started this project at 9 PM and ended at 1 AM)

8 Likes

Hey! I recommend working on your anatomy. The head seems too tall. Although hair doesn’t stick to the head, I feel that it’s piled too high on the head.

Blue is the head, red is where the hair should be.

Your lineart also looks a bit shaky, but I know that’s a hard thing to deal with as I deal with it too.

4 Likes

I spent around 30 minutes fixing a few problems. It still looks fairly bad, but I can try to fix it tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’d strongly suggest learning how to draw the base of the head correctly first.
For example:

In reality it would look a bit more like this, it may be a small fix but a little really does go a long way.

Hope this helps at least a little :sweat_smile:

Edit:

Your lineart seems to be lacking as well, personally I try to use more opaque brush settings as opposed to more transparent ones. It looks like you may have used a pencil type brush for your lineart (please correct me if I’m wrong). That method could work if you were to put the colors on the layer beneath your lineart and maybe set the lineart as multiply. But the way you have it at the moment looks a bit sloppy.
It also looks like you used a paint bucket tool to color, which as you can see leaves white spaces:

If you chose to use a paint bucket tool you should go and fill in the blanks it leaves afterwards.

2 Likes

Yeah, the head shape is weird on this photo. As the other comments stated. But I think this is still a great work of art! I can’t even draw a stick figure lol

3 Likes