Phone resolution smaller in Roblox?

I really wish you let us scale this because some of us with “beefier” mobile devices really want a prettier experience.

2 Likes

The problem is, there’s no good way to identify a “beefier” mobile device.

2 Likes

A user slider.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, this should be easier to findout tho. Also, as alex says the iphone 4s resolution is wrong then.

Yeah, perhaps.

5 Likes

Please. The graphics slider is locked at 1 on mobile because it’s assumed all mobile devices can’t handle anything above that (and maybe this was true when ROBLOX first came to mobile – I don’t know), but I don’t see why I should be locked at 1 on mobile when I’m able to pump my low spec laptop all the way up to 10 if I want. Default to autodetect and then let the user choose whatever graphics level they want.

1 Like

Well, so far the only good-performing tablet that I’ve seen was the newest iPad.

The device doesn’t have to be able to support level 10 for tweaking graphics to be useful – just good enough to push to higher graphics levels in general. I might want to increase my graphics level to 2 or 3 in a competitive game to increase render distance so non-mobile players don’t have as much of a sight advantage over me.

On my phone: 592 x 324 (360 with topbar)

Laptop screen and phone screen are both 1920x1080

This saddens me trying to get into mobile developing :expressionless:

And that android bug where using the chat leaves the menu bar on the right side still visible makes it worse >:

1 Like

Could you guys up-scale the AbsoluteSize relative to how much you guys down-scale the resolution, so that UI doesn’t get crunched down?
If not, maybe an AbsoluteSizeScale property?

Graphics slider is not locked to 1. It is locked to auto.

1 Like

No - you don’t want that. Your game will be completely unplayable on higher end phones if we used native resolution for UI - the DPI varies ~1:4 between different Android phones.

1 Like

I’m assuming you have an Android phone - there the rendering behavior is different from iOS (and less optimal). It’s harder to get a good balance between quality & performance on Android because the variance in both performance and DPI is just insane and there’s no pattern to it - could have a super high-res phone with a super-bad GPU and vice versa.

(and before it’s mentioned, user resolution slider is not the solution - the game should work well out of the box)

Oh, may bad then. What I suggested still applies because I might want to go 1 or 2 above the auto-detected graphics level for higher render distance. I also did some searching and found a thread that pointed out that switching graphics levels produced a lag spike. I might want to manually disable auto so I don’t have to run into that issue when playing anything competitive.

As far as I know at some point a decision was made to remove as many things from mobile settings UI as possible to simplify it, and quality slider was one of them. I don’t know the full rationale.

I haven’t seen that thread before - this generally should not happen because if we detect that an increase led to the game dropping below 30 FPS (although I should double check what the thresholds are for mobile for low quality levels - maybe they are not 30…), we go back immediately so you should not see sustained low performance. Which means it’s just a bug that we need to fix…

Was this before or after the menu was redesigned?

This is a phone – the smaller of the two mobile platforms – and there’s plenty of room for a graphics slider in the new menu. I also find it hard to believe adding a graphics slider would make the menu the least bit confusing given that it wouldn’t make the UI cramped and the exact same kind of slider (volume) is already in the menu. It’d be great if that decision could be reviewed again.

1 Like

I think it’s before redesign although I am not sure.

Cc @darthskrill who may know

yeah pretty sure it was before redesign. This was also when pretty much all mobile devices were not very powerful, but today you see some pretty interesting things going on. I think we could revisit adding it back in, not making promises though.

1 Like

also FWIW one of our studio engineers just checked in some code for studio in regards to scaling viewports to more accurately match the physical size of mobile devices. He also did some general improvements to the mobile emulation mode. Pretty sure he will post in the forum soon about it, or maybe already has…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.