Physical Slider V1.2

Hello there fellow developers! Today I have model to share with you! It is a slider that exist in the 3D world. I originally made it because I needed a dimmer switch for a light in a room I was creating and then re-made it in response to a question in the #help-and-feedback:scripting-support category. I’m releasing it now because I noticed that there aren’t any resources like this and I’ve never noticed any games that had this feature. So as a way to give back to the community I decided to release it.

This slider is a lot like this resource by @Krystaltinan, but a physical model that has already been prebuilt:

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 6.09.15 PM

You can view a working example of it here: https://gyazo.com/d562a9e706c9385fbffb9933d1978246

Do know, however, that while you can click and drag the slider, everything is done on a local script. This means that anything you do won’t replicate to other clients and other players won’t be able to see how you are moving the switch. This will fit some people use case’s and others not so much. However, this is only the first iteration and compared to what I’m currently making (V2), this model is obsolete and relatively crude in method and ability, although it does work.

Here’s a link to the model:
https://www.roblox.com/library/7133265907/Dimmer
And here’s a link to an example using the model:
https://www.roblox.com/library/7133206147/Dimmer-Example

Please let me know if you like it and/or any improvements you think I should add in V2. I’ll update this post when V2 is released.

Version 2 Info

V2 will be a ModuleScript instead of a pre-built model for ease of creating physical sliders. I will still have an example of a slider utilizing it though.

Current list of improvements that are going to be added in V2:

• Option for replicating the slider movement to other clients
  • Ability to work in any orientation, even if that orientation changes
  • Automatic setup on creation (although you’ll be able to customize this depending on your needs)
  • Ability to enable or disable it
  • Connect a function for whenever the slider is moved.
  • Set the sliders position manually (with a function)
  • Position and/or movement snapping (optional)
17 Likes

UPDATE: Hello all! I wish I could tell you that the slider module is out, but it took longer to develop due to life events. I was tweaking some of the replication logic and was going to release it this weekend.

Unfortunately I’ve lost all my work. My account has been permanently deleted due to me unwittingly publishing a game that supposedly had UTG. I mean, I don’t understand why they couldn’t just remove the game and warn me so I could try to find and remove it, but that’s Roblox moderation for you. Life sucks sometimes and you just have to roll with the punches.

I do not know if my account on here will persist, and if so, for how long. If it does persist though, I will try to post all of my work I can recover, even if some of it is still incomplete. Incomplete is a relative word in this case though, because although a lot of what I’ve made currently works and I know most would judge it as “good”. I refrained from posting it until I could refine it until it was, in my eyes, perfect. I guess I have no choice anymore though.

I’m not sure if I will try to re-develop this module. I had finally worked out a good system that was simple and intuitive. I was honestly really excited to release this module this weekend, as I really just wanted to give the community something helpful. This was one of the best projects I have worked on and I’m sorry that I can’t release it. Especially since I was also going to release some of the other modules I developed for it that evolved into very useful stand-alone modules.

I do however have a single local save file that contains the finished product of one of these modules. I will release the source code for it if I can get my studio to work (keep getting error 403, even though I’m using a different account).

The last thing I want to say is this: thank you for letting me be apart of the great Robloxian community. I appreciate that I had a chance to help others learn, even if only for awhile.

8 Likes