PhysicsSteppingMethod: Now Set to "Adaptive" as Default

Hello Developers!

As previously communicated, the Default PhysicsSteppingMethod of WorkSpace has now been updated to utilize Adaptive Timestepping. This is a significant shift, and we’ve done our utmost to ensure that this change is as seamless as possible.

Adaptive Timestepping is designed to offer greater flexibility and efficiency in your simulations, allowing for a dynamic response to computational demands. However, we are aware that such changes can potentially lead to behavioral differences in your projects. Therefore, we encourage you to be diligent in assessing this new setting’s implications for your work.

We believe that Adaptive Timestepping may be advantageous for many of you, offering performance enhancements without jeopardizing the quality of the simulation. However, for those whose projects require the precise physical behavior of full 240Hz simulations, we have ensured that the Fixed option remains available to you.

We understand that every project is unique and its requirements vary, so please take the time to explore this new feature and see how it fits into your specific needs.

If you encounter any issues or have any questions about this new feature, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help you navigate these changes and make the most out of our platform.

Happy Building!

136 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Very cool. Switched to using this for our game a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t notice any change in behavior for us, so that’s absolutely awesome!

However, I’m just wondering what kind of performance improvements we can expect? I’m sure it’s dependent on the use case, but could you possibly give some examples?

42 Likes

I am glad that you guys are optimizing the physics, because with higher part counts stuff performs really badly when unanchored.

30 Likes

I have been pleased to see that adaptive physics stepping has been significantly less buggy than it was earlier this year, however there are still some issues that need ironing out. Specifically, and very frequently, when two players touch one another, it can cause jittering and sometimes launches one of them into the air.
ezgif.com-video-to-gif
This gif demonstrates this behavior. I recorded this last night, so unless something was put in to fix it today, it should still be happening. This is really the only major bug I have managed to notice. Thanks

53 Likes

I can also add to that with my climbing system. It triggers a jump when its done.

Before: (fixed behavior)
https://gyazo.com/4b8eb4c4d08356320925529a6f403fe6

After: (adaptive behavior)
https://gyazo.com/f8605983ff74a51a4c2773d2bb5a532f

As you can see it sends me up higher now with the adaptive behavior.

29 Likes

I would like to mention that humanoids are still being throttled, despite the obvious repercussions and bugs this leads to.

Throttle other player characters all you want but listen to us when we ask you not to throttle the client’s character. It’s unacceptable that after 8 months of feedback this behavior has not been fixed.

96 Likes

This feature is amazing for everything except characters controlled by players. This introduces too much instability on the character physics side, especially in my game with many various custom creatures. Let me turn it off for specific models (nonhumanoid controllers), or at the very least all humanoids, or even just the client’s character since the rest is replicated.

There are enough video examples of the problems that arise on characters. No, you won’t be able to make it perfectly stable for all types of characters and all character controllers. Don’t make us wait two years for you to try.

41 Likes

@Hajimalago Even though we had Adaptive physics enabled already, it appears that older servers in our game broke after this change.
(A bit hard to see in this video due to file size limit but helicopters flight physics broke entirely)

Newer servers dont appear to have this issue so we were forced to do a full restart.
Please do better testing as this is unacceptable, we were getting bombarded with bug reports and complaints due to players thinking we broke something.

40 Likes

Update

It appears that even after a restart, players are still running into this issue…

There is nothing else we can do on our end, its only happening to some people while others are fine.

Potentially seems to only be happening on Mobile right now…? Not 100% sure on this, still looking into our reports.

27 Likes

Can’t you switch to the ‘Fixed’ mode manually?
Afaik that mode is the same as it was before this feature got released…

EDIT: I thought you had it set to fixed before, my bad I misread. Weird that it broke, but still setting it to fixed could help possibly :grinning:

31 Likes

I think the best approach is all new games should’ve been set to adaptive by default and all old games automatically get set to “Fixed” (and maybe notify about the change like how it was done with the new shorelines). What about old games without active developers? In the case of Kizmo imagine he wasn’t online the whole day his game would be broken and suffer player drops due to something out of his control.

tl;dr should’ve been handled like shorelines by notifying us and asking if we want to switch to the change instead of forcing it and potentially breaking games.

32 Likes

After this change was made, a lot of the servers in our game (Zeppelin Wars [ALPHA 0.75] - Roblox) broke and ROBLOX physics in general seemed a lot less performant and optimized.

Not really sure what the issue is. The game’s PhysicsSteppingMethod is set to Fixed as of now.

31 Likes

IMPORTANT PSA

We are getting reports on “Physics not working the way it worked before”. Apologies for everyone who might be effected by this rather breaking change.

As we have been warning everyone for the last few months, we strongly advise to test your experience with the new stepping method, as simluation results with adaptive stepping (60hz/120hz/240hz) will differ from simulation results using full 240hz simulations.

If the resulting physics behavior does not satisfy your previous requirements, please set the PhysicsSteppingMethod to Fixed.

36 Likes

Thank you for breaking all legacy classic experiences, now people can noclip everywhere and jitter crazy!

Set this back to fixed on all my games, people could literally walk through the walls by running.

34 Likes

I don’t know if you know this but… every roblox game is broken now.
If anything, please revert it back.
A lot of people who created on this platform don’t play roblox anymore, and they can’t fix this issue with their game now.
This includes the “Obby” genre too. A lot of very hard obbies are broken and most creators of these obbies won’t be able to fix them.
Please revert this. You’ll do a lot for developers who don’t know how to fix this issue

33 Likes

Thanks for the best user experience, isn’t games broken now?

23 Likes

Thank you guys for this faithful update :skull:

37 Likes

I have an older game, that has code created in 2017 with the legacy body movers, and I am having no issues at all with physics.

and I have flying
custom swimming
morph swimming
morph climbing
morph flying
even pet riding
and pet swimming

its all working fine. o.o

This is the correct setting?

30 Likes

absolutely everything is working as intended…

25 Likes