Pig Latin Translator

Just when you think you’ve seen everything, I present to you…

The Pig Latin Translator

You may or may not have heard of this strange language before, in fact, it’s not even really a proper language it’s more of a code. People used to learn Pig Latin so they could send secret messages to each other and so that if anyone else read it, they’d think it was gobbledygook. Also, it is quite fun to learn and if you want to learn it yourself, just search Pig Latin, there are quite a few tutorials out there.

What this does is you type a sentence, phrase or even just a word, and it’ll translate into Pig Latin for you. Simple as that.

Functionality:

Boring alert :warning:

First, it takes in the user input and reads the first word. Then it checks for the first vowel (if there is one) and splits the word into two. Next, it moves the first half over to the other side so currently, an input of hello would look like elloh right now. Finally, it adds ay to the end of the word which would create ellohay. However, if it doesn’t find a vowel in the word or the word starts with a vowel, it’ll just add ay without moving anything, so eat would just become eatay. It repeats this process until it’s gone through every word, then returns the result. I hope this made some sense.

TL;DR: Don’t be lazy read the whole thing.

Future plans:

Although this is just a small side project, I might add some of the following things in the future:

• Proper support for punctuation, for example, if you put in hello world! it would output as ellohay orld!way.
  • Opposite translating, translating from Pig Latin back to English.
  • Option to choose whether dashes are visible or not to make it easier to understand the language, e.g. ig-pay instead of igpay. :white_check_mark: Added
  • Understanding Pig Latin menu - tutorial on how to learn Pig Latin - it’s easy as long as you know English.

Thanks for taking the time to read over my post, I hope you enjoy it and please leave any constructive criticism below. :hugs:

Spider Pig

Resources:

Test place: (Uncopylocked) Pig Latin Translator - Roblox
From the toolbox: Pig Latin Translator - Roblox

Update Log
  • 2022-09-03T17:51:00Z: It now attempts to translate the word if it only contains alphabetical letters, else it just leaves it as is. Thanks to ProBaturay for pointing this out.
  • 2022-09-04T09:01:00Z: Option for dashes to be visible to make it easier to understand/read.
9 Likes

I didn’t know Pig Latin was a straight language.

Don’t people make their own versions of “pig latin”?

3 Likes

from normal languages to fictional(i think)) languages are getting traslated, lol whats next to be translated is it goblin language

anyways looks awesome lol

2 Likes

There are some variations but there are also certain rules that all the variations follow, which is what this does. It would get a lot more complicated if I tried to add all the different variations.

The variations are really only present when the word starts with a vowel, but if someone is fluent in Pig Latin and you used something like this then they would still understand you.

1 Like

thank you for developing the next step in roblox evolution! this is truly what we need for the future of roblox.

2 Likes

I suppose the module was created for either one of the purposes: Teaching people a foreign language with nonsensical rules derived from a native language or making encoding/decoding and ciphering systems.

I could also infer that we speak such characters exclusive to computers, such as whitespace characters. Because if you thought someone how to speak the language, they would say the word “ay” infinitely without knowing there is a whitespace character backing up. Not only do whitespace characters interrupt the functionality, but you also ought to get this module to work with only alphabet letters to replace each letter in the word.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out that bug, I hadn’t noticed it up until this point but you were right, I’ll get started on a fix soon!

Edit: A fix has been implemented, luckily it only needed one extra line of code to check if it was an alphabetical letter.