Pivot Editor: Full Release

Wow this will be extremely useful!! Great new addition!

8 Likes

Woohoo! I thought this was useless when the beta for it was announced; that Roblox was wasting our time. But I fell in love when I realised how useful this could be.

8 Likes

Pivots and handle summoning are probably the most useful additions in recent times. These features let me construct parts in ways that previously would’ve been a very long tedious process. I would love to see the ability to scale around a rotated pivot, which would possibly be difficult to implement, but maybe that’s something for the future.

9 Likes

These features are extremely useful!!! Thanks to Roblox Team!

9 Likes

This will be such a useful update and think many builders/modellers with take advantage from this.

5 Likes

I’m going to be looking at this very soon. We made some Scale “improvements” recently that turned out to be a bit problematic and were turned off, so I need to untangle the good parts (E.g. scaling around the pivot) from the bad parts (E.g. forcing Spheres/Cylinders to scale uniformly).

14 Likes

Very useful stuff!! Thanks roblox!!!

7 Likes

YEAHHHH, LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOO :tada: :tada: :tada: I can now officially discourage their use, even though I have for a while and have instead suggested welds or implementing these functions yourself with cached CFrames. This, to me, is the best part of the update.

Of course though, credit is due and pivots have been a really useful tool for me when building and even just coding. I’ve been using them in a production-level game to randomly generate some rooms for a caverns map so that each run can be as unique as possible. :slight_smile:

Highly recommend looking into pivots ASAP for those who haven’t. They’re a big life saver.

8 Likes

Finally the full version is released!!! :partying_face:

First of all, many thanks to the engineers and employees who developed it. :wrench:

Features look nice. Although I don’t think the ability to move parts is overly good, there are changes and I think it’s nice. :+1:

4 Likes

Yes! I can’t wait for :SetPrimaryPartCFrame() to FINALLY be deprecated! I really wish people stopped using it a long time ago!

Also, when it does become deprecated, can we get a message kind of like if you try using Wait() and Spawn()?
This is what I am talking about:
Because devs that don’t use the DevForum will probably not even use Pivots unless they have this message.

5 Likes

Yes, you’ll get such a message. I want to give people some time to naturally move over to the new API before I bother them with squiggly lines though. Likely I’ll actually mark them deprecated a few months from now.

14 Likes

I’ve always wanted something like this! This is a very neat feature and looks easy to use. This will help a lot with rotating parts from certain points and stuff like that.

I sure will miss Model:GetPrimaryPartCFrame and Model:SetPrimaryPartCFrame, though. I used them a lot to move entire models without setting all of their CFrames individually.

2 Likes

You could have just used some trigonometry and CFrame work

4 Likes

You don’t need to set their CFrames individually. You use :PivotTo() instead of :SetPromatyPartCFrame(), and :GetPivot() for :GetPrimaryPartCFrame(). Simple stuff :wink:, and a lot more reliable too! Parameters are the same.

4 Likes

Great! This will defenitely be useful for making rings! Since you can now rotate a part around another part, do that many times with different positions, then you’ll have a ring!

am I the only one who thought this was useless lol

1 Like

These are extremely useful, but I really wish there was a way for when we summon pivots for it to always be on one of the main corners/positions of the part we’re summoning pivots on (instead of just the purple indicator), this’d be extremely useful and much less tedious then specifically setting the pivot.

3 Likes

What’s summoning pivots? Never heard of it.

3 Likes

It allows you to temporarily place down your pivots in a certain location.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry if that was confusing, but I know replacements for those functions exist. I just meant it will be kind of a hard change for me because I used them a lot (now seeing a lot of developers say it was bad practice).

1 Like

Interesting new Blender update! Wait, this isn’t a Blender update? This is Roblox Studio??? Huh. Seriously though, this is a LEGENDARY update. I’m so excited to see what kind of new techniques develop and new kinds of builds would become SO MUCH EASIER! I’m thinking intricate designs. I’m the most curious about what kind of generation of Roblox Devs would be created that are fluent in such tools! EEP!
Edit: Just tried out the update. My only gripe is how I keep pressing Q instead of Tab, and my camera sinks into the ground.

7 Likes